A Kiss Goodbye

"I'll miss you" I say squeezing James tightly in my arms.

"I'll miss you too" He whispers pulling away from the hug. "I am still confused though, I thought you were leaving the week before Christmas, it's only November 12."

"Yeah plans changed. I have talked to the teachers and got all the work so I'm outta here." I say with a sigh leaning back against my car as James does the same against his.

I was just wishing my friend goodbye and then I was getting on a plane and hightailing it outta this bitch. Most Christmas' I spend in France and I had planned on doing it this year but with everything that was going on I had to get out of here early. It was too painful with Alexander. Everything we did was just a reminder that we were a fixture in time, not a stability.

"What the actual fuck!" I hear a voice scream and I whip my head around suprised.

I see an angry little ball of hair rushing out the front doors of the school and storming towards the parking. I knew Hamilton well enough to tell when he is faking relationship stuff for the sake of other people and when it is real. And this is real. Real concern. Real anger. Real Alexander.

"What is it darling?" I say smiling at him.

He holds up his phone and reads out on a borderline offensive southern accent in an attempt to mimic mine "Hey darling, off to Paris see ya after Christmas. SEE YA AFTER CHRISTMAS, your leaving for almost 3 months and this is how you tell me!"

"Okay this seems like relationship drama, so imma go" James says awkwardly pushing himself off my car and hugging me quickly "see ya soon man."

"Bye James" I say with a smile as my best friend as he walks away.

Hamilton leans against the car besides me his arms grazing against mine. This guys tongue has been in my mouth and yet when his arm gently rest I get butterflies. It was tender, almost romantic, maybe that's why it made me flutter. It was an almost. Just as everything with Alexander was. We were almost dating. He almost cared about me. It was almost love.

"You should have told me"

"Probably"

"Is there any particular reason for this impromptu jolt to France? Did I do something?"

His tone was softer than his normal angrily fast rambling one. I couldn't tell if there was a hint of sadness. 

"No" I say honestly. It was Alexander fault, he hadn't done anything other than be himself.

"I'll miss you" he mutters and I can't help but tease him just a little, no matter my feelings, we were still Hamilton and Jefferson.

"What was that?"

"You heard me" He says.

"No I didn't."

"I said you're an ignorant, loud, annoying, son of a bitch," he says shoving me a little "and I'm gonna miss you"

"I'll miss ya too shortstop" I say and I can feel him roll his eyes at my annoying nickname.

"I'm gonna miss you a little less if you keep calling me that" he says "but not much"

We stand there stiffly for a moment, not sure what to do, I put my arm around his shoulder. He rests his head in the crook of my arm, as I fiddle with the shoulder of his jacket.

"Do you have to go babe?" He says, and for one second I consider it. I would gladly cancel my plane ticket, sit through all the boring classes, just to hear him call me babe again. But I quickly shake the thought from my head, he didn't mean it, he couldn't.

"I have to go, darling. My whole family is waiting for me. I'll call you though" I say smiling as I feel him nessling a little closer to me.

"A Lot?" He says.

"As much as you'll answer" I say.

I pull away from him so I can examine his face to see how sincere he looks, and I'm alarmed at his broken expression, with tears brimming in his green eyes.

"I have to go, I don't wanna miss my flight." I say looking down at my feet.

I turn away to open my car but I feel his fingers wrap tightly around my arm.

"Can you do something for me and not ask any questions" he says.

"Of course" I say turning back concerned again by his expression and tone.

"Can you" he mutters looking down at the ground "kiss me"

I don't even think about it, I don't question what it means, or his intentions behind it. I just lean down and place my lips on his gently. He seems surprised by the suddenness of the action but quickly wraps his arms around my neck. I place my fingers on his hips. Gently our mouths open and his tongue slips into mine. We jump apart at a sudden yell.

"Keep it in your pants!" Hercules yells from across the parking lot.

I feel tears start to brim in my eyes. And look away from him immediately.

"I have to go"