Divorce

There you were next to your best friend in the courtroom. Tom was on the other side. Tom didn't want the divorce, but from all the fighting and arguing, you knew it was an unhealthy relationship. It had taken you years to realise this was what was best.

"All rise." The judge entered the room. Your lawyer gathered her files together.

"Miss Y/N Y/L/N, I believe that you're the one who filed for a divorce would you like to discuss why?" He asked you with his glasses perked on the end of his nose. Tom looked at you in heartache when he saw your red, watery eyes and tear stained cheeks.

"Our marriage went downhill after our second child, we wouldn't talk to each other and when we did we'd be arguing. I think it's best to just separate." You admitted with a shaky voice.

"You think or you know?" Toms lawyer stood.

"Sit down." The judge declared.

"Now usually when I hear this kind of thing, and believe me it's frequent, it's more than just arguing. Is there anything else you'd like to say that could potentially be crucial for this session?" He asked you.

"No your honour." You sighed, wiping your eyes.

"Take a seat." Then it was Toms turn to speak and you had no idea what he was going to say, you just wanted it to be over with.

"Mr Hardy, why don't you want this divorce to go through?" The judge asked him. He straightened his tie.

"I love Y/N. She was my first and I'd always hoped she'd be my last. You see your honour, we have two kids. Aria is fourteen and Nelly is just coming up to two years old. Not only do I want to save this marriage for my children, but I want to save it because I know that me and Y/N can pull through, like we always have done." The judge seemed satisfied with that answer and wrote some things down.

"Your honour this is about a healthy and stable relationship reforming, may I suggest couples therapy?" His lawyer declared and that's when yours stood up.

"Surely for the benefit of the children, arguing and shouting at your wife isn't going to be solved by couples therapy, I can support this with evidence to say as a married couple Y/N and Tom have already tried couples therapy." And that seemed to shut the others up.

"Stay seated." The judge stood up and left to make her decision in about whether you were legally getting a divorce.

"Y/N I love you." Tom called over to you, you looked over at him and every memory you've ever had with him, just clouded through your head. Ten minutes later and the judge had made his decision.

"I am not entirely convinced about the situation between you two. I will assign you to couples therapy and if it doesn't work out, a finalised court divorce will be settled." He announced and walked out.

"I'm so sorry Y/N." Your lawyer told you, you nodded, hugging your friend and running out before Tom could talk to you.

Was it fait that the divorce wasn't meant to be?