The sleeping memories

I stared off into the distance as the moon was rising as we rested before heading out in the morning, we'd gotten through to Vince after spending three hours searching for the right arms channel.

I held Newts note and letter to me every so often reading the words he'd written.

Piper,
I'm sorry love that I'm not there,
I'm sorry I didn't say a proper good bye, I'm sorry that l can't be there for you,

I love you more than the world it's self and I'm sorry that I have to leave you behind. Please don't hurt your self because of me, I'd never now what I'd do if I knew I'm the reason why you'd end up hurting your self.

I wish I could spend the rest of my days with you, but my wish had kind of already come true as a lot of the days that I can remember I have spent with you.

Thank you for loving me,
Thank you for being there for me,
Thank you for being my world for me,
Thank you for being the one I feel in love with.
I know I promised I would always be there for you.
But it will have to be a promise I will have to break.

Good bye my dearest love,
Please tell me all about life when I see you again.
Newt

————

Piper,
I know it must sound crazy which it probably is but we're still alive, I don't know how many of us are still alive I've only found three of us so far.

The trials where never over, you've just been made to think that they where.
We need you more than ever Piper.

I need you more than ever.

WICKED still lives.

You have to stop them before it's to late.
We made out of the compound and are traveling south away from the mountains.

The clues should lead you to where we're heading.
It's the only safe place we now about now.

Remember that I believe in you.
I always have and I always will.

Remember WCKD isn't GOOD

Newt

I had tears in my eyes blurring most of my vision as I choked back a sob. A few of the others were asleep mostly due to the running we'd done during the day, the only ones awake were Liam, Minho, Thomas and Scott though I knew that Lydia would most likely be waking up soon.

"Hey?" A small voice called out from the door I looked over to see Liam standing there cautiously as he watched me, I always liked him even though Thomas was a bit wary of him at first I still felt protective of him, I guess in some ways he reminded me of Chuck being closer to his age that is. "Hi Liam" I said whipping my eyes as I gestured for him to come closer as I put the letters away.

"I could smell your sadness...are...are you okay?" He asked quietly as he took a seat beside me, "um yeah I guess" I mumbled fiddling with the hem of my jacket as I looked out into the dark horizon. "I'm sorry about what ever happened to you... before everything that happened with Theo" he said as I shook my head, "nothing you could have done about it pup believe me nothing at all" I told him glancing over at him as he looked at me shocked. "You.. you called me..." he spoke sounding surprised making me smile at him, "I know it's been a while... but I still remember more than I let on... besides you are a puppy and you know it" I joked light heartedly knocking his shoulders with my own.

"I know.." he sighed in defeat before going silent and nervous about what to say next. "Go ahead ask it" I told him looking up at the starry sky, "how did you?" He looked at me as I tapped the side of my nose, "you've got the same face Chuck use to have when he wanted to ask a question... he'd be about a two years younger than you know but yeah you kinda remind me of him" I admit to him as he looks at me curiously. "What happened? Where did you go? ....I....I remember you leaving the school with Stiles after Lacrosse practice and then we never saw you again.... we searched for years never once in two years did we give up but when your dad died we stopped... I guess we grieved for losing all of you I suppose" he told me as I stiffened in the spot I was currently sitting in.

"I remember being scared and alone," I began to say catching his attention as he listen, "then everything was so bright I could barely see anything and what I could well, I saw I was surrounded by boys all around my age, at first I was scared but after a while I got better and I began to get use to my new life I had my family in there for me and so I never felt alone then after a year and a half Thomas arrived along with another girl a day or two later, the damn shank caused so much trouble I swear Gally was so ready to banish him to the grievers." I told him as he listened intently to what I told him. "Thomas got us out though luckily but we lost so many of the boys I called my friends and family... we lost Chuck ...and then got recaptured by WCKD who tried to trick us but being who we are Tommy and I saw it was a trap and so we all ran away to the mountains to find mountain people... along the way we met Jorge and Brenda they're pretty awesome got us to the right arm so we owe them that, Teresa betrayed us though, I'm not angry at her she was traumatised by WCKD into believing anything that they wanted her to believe though at the time we thought it all was real" I explained looking at him as he took it all in, "and then what happened?" He asked completely captivated by my story.

"WCKD captured a load of us immunes along Minho, though we rebelled Thomas was determined to get them back and take down WCKD once and for all, we spent months rebuilding what we had then one day we rescued fifty immunes from a WCKD train but we didn't get the other immunes from the other compartment where Minho was.... Thomas, Newt and Frypan all left that night to try and get to the last city, Newt left me in our bed asleep with a note saying he'd see me in a few days and that he's sorry he left me behind... so I hitch hiked with Brenda and Jorge and saved their arses whilst in the checkpoint tunnel being attacked by cranks.... I slapped each one round the head as a warning never to leave me behind and so they never did, we reached the city found Gally and kidnapped Teresa making her show us how to rescue Minho and remove to tags WCKD had on us, then we went to save Minho and get the cure for Newt....." I looked away feeling the crushing pain of the memories flooding into my systems.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to..." Liam said taking hold of my hand as I shook my head, "I'm tired of being quiet... I want to talk" I muttered.

"I don't remember much of my life before I went into that Maze, hell I get images and names then gotta work it out from there... but shuck does it hurt seeing you guys and seeing everything that Zoe once saw it hurts but nothing will ever compare to seeing the one person I knew I could always count on lying there dead in front of me.." I tell him as he looked at me in pain as I looked to wear I pulled out the letters from Newt, "he lied to Tommy about how that was his first and last letter, he wrote this before he wrote his letter to Thomas... I didn't work out what it was until a few days before we got rescued from paradise" I explained.

"He stabbed himself.... cause he was infected with the flare... he didn't want to be a crank... so he begged for Thomas to kill but he couldn't... Newt wasn't just our friend he was Thomas's brother... so they fought to the end till Newt turned the knife on himself with the last little bit of humanity he had and killed himself" I finished whipping my eyes dry as Liam moved to hug me as he seemed close to crying.

"How do you handle it?" His voice cracked as he held on right.
"I don't know I honestly don't know... sometimes living is a lot harder than dying" I admit sniffling as I pulled him closer.
"I didn't know... I didn't know... I'm sorry... I'm sorry" he whimpered holding onto me tighter as I wrapped my arms around him.

"You have nothing to be sorry bout Pup... you know what it's like.. I know you know what it's like but now my friends need are help so you gotta promise me something... you hear me Liam you gotta promise me something" I explain pulling back and making him look at me as he nodded listening carefully, "you have to listen to Thomas and I, you hear me... when we say run you run.. we say hide you hide and if we tell you it's not safe do not leave my side you got that... I already lost too many friends okay I am not about to loss you" I ordered as he nodded vigorously, "I trust you Liam... but I need you to follow what we say or else you'll end up getting your self hurt" I explained to him clearly. "You really think it's that dangerous?" He questioned naively, I shrugged my shoulders in answer making it clear I didn't know.
"We'll save them Piper, I just know we will" He emphasised as I gave a curt nod to him in return.

"We gotta find them first you dumb shank" I laughed getting up from were we sat. "Go get some sleep we're leaving first thing in the morning" I told him as he went back inside to the others.

"I swear I will find you guys and this time I'm not leaving anyone behind" I say looking up at the sky as clouds began to form above me as the wind began to pick up, signalling that a change was happening.