V

Lucia rubbed her wrists gingerly after Pablo cut the ties, nodding her head in thanks to him as he just stared at back at her. The door was opened and the blinding sunlight was shining through, clearing the dark path before her. The entire time she walked up the steps and out onto the grass of Pablo's ranch, all she could think about were two specific things. 1. What Gustavo was going to say, and 2. What Javier and Steve were doing, because she knew they knew she was gone.

• • •

After Friday's meeting Javier and Steve had dropped off Lucia at her new home and swiftly drove away and back to their apartment building. Javier parked the car and gave a careless wave to Steve as he skipped two stairs at a time to go see Connie. That night was uneventful for the two men to say the least. By the time both of them returned to their apartments they were both exhausted and were thanking the lord it was Friday, as they weren't officially on duty on the weekends, though, if need be, they could be called in.
By the time Saturday's early morning sun rose over the city, Javier sensed something was a little off, though he exactly place what it was. Steve had come down to go over some files in the morning, Javi's absolute favorite way to spend Saturday mornings (not really) and by the time the afternoon rolled around he had yet heard from Lucia, prompting him to call her because she had promised she would come over. He called once and she didn't answer. It wasn't completely unusual so he let it slide, thinking he'd contact her a little later, just incase she was busy at the moment. Two hours later he called again, and again with no answer. Javier hung up the phone and jogged over to Steve's, knocking on the door hoping he was home.
"Javi, Steve's in the sho-"
"I'll wait."
Javier pushed passed Connie as she moved to open the door wider so he could come in.
"Well, could I get you anything? Steve didn't say you were coming? Is it something for work?" Connie continued to ask questions as Javier made his way to the tiny kitchen table and sat in the corner chair.
"No, no I'm fine Connie. And no it's not for work, I just want him to try something."
Connie nodded her head and went to tell Steve Javi was there. Not too long after did Steve come out of the bathroom with Connie on his trail.
"What's wrong?" Steve asked, his voice not entirely concerned.
"I need you to call Lucia's phone. She hasn't picked up since around 2."
"I'm sure she's just busy."
"No. I think somethings wrong, it's not like she's just ignoring my calls."
"You do a girl wrong Javi?" Connie asked, not fully understanding who Lucia was or the situation she could be in. Javi looked at her for a brief moment before he focused back on Steve.
"Just call her and if she doesn't answer, I'm going to her house."
"Alright, alright." Steve said as he walked over to the phone on the counter. He dialed the number and waited for it to connect.
"How do you know this woman's number?" Connie questioned Steve.
"She works with us." Steve told her.
"How come I've never heard about her?"
"Never thought I needed to mention it. Peña, there's no answer." Steve hung up the phone and Javier made his way to the door.
"Where are you going?" Steve asked him.
"To her house. You coming or not?"
Steve contemplated for a moment before he decided he would go with. Connie was protesting his decision as soon as he reached for his jacket.
"She's probably out. A young woman in Colombia on a Saturday night? Think about it guys. She's probably at a club or something." Connie told them and Javi wiped his hand across his face stressfully.
"She wouldn't do that."
"And how would you know?"
"Because she was suppose to be with me."

       Steve and Javier got into the car and sped off to Lucia's house. It was nighttime now and the worry on Javier's face never faltered and Steve was slowly becoming more anxious. Javier came to a halt quickly and opened the car door and ran to the front door which was wide open. He entered the house in a panic and ran through the kitchen, checked her bedroom, bathroom, and living room, before Steve could even begin to look.
"They got her." He panted to Steve, not wanting to show his full emotions regarding the situation.
"Those fuckers got her."

                           •               •              •        

          Lucia managed to make it to the main house and down to the outdoor living space where she knew Gustavo would be, it was his favorite spot, right near the pool and all of the hot sunlight. She could see him sitting in the chair facing the pool, not her and she took a deep breath before she continued on. She managed to make it almost to him before he spoke, noticing she was there.

"You have no idea how inconvenient trying to find you was."
"Sorry for the trouble." Lucia said, not truly meaning it.
"I could have had Blackie or Poison or anyone kill you, but I didn't, do you know why?"  
Lucia didn't respond, knowing that he was going to tell her anyway.
"Because your an asset."
"To what?"
"To our entire company. Pablo and I had a long conversation about what we should do with you. Most of the men wanted you killed, they were convinced you crossed us. Some wanted you brought back here so they could torture you, Pablo said no to that. And then we thought about what you could bring to this company. How many high profile men you could bring us, how much money that would bring us."
"You mean to prostitute myself? Why the fuck would I do that?"
"You'd do it for your life if you had to. But no, it doesn't have to go that far. I won't let it."
"How chivalrous of you." Lucia sarcastically remarked.
"I'm not going to let some old man paw all over you like a wild animal, not while I can do that myself."
"After what you did, with Marta and then have Blackie knock me out to bring me here, you really think that I could ever look at you the same?"
"We've been fucking since we were teenagers. It doesn't matter what I've done or hell, look in your own ledger Luce, you're not a saint. This game is played both ways and you're in as deep as I am, as any of us are. It always goes back to normal for awhile, then something goes wrong and the cycle repeats itself, it's like business."
Lucia looked at him finally and scoffed again, it must have been the third or fourth time she did during the entirety of their conversation. She turned around, ready to go find Tata when she leaned over and placed a hand on the back of the wicker chair he was still sitting in.

"Don't flatter yourself Gustavo. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."