X

LUCIA was sitting down in the fairly polished airport. It was recently remodeled and different from the way it looked when she left years ago to go back to Colombia. Washington, D.C. was her home away from home. Her mother lived there while her father lived in Colombia and when they got divorced, well, Lucia split her time between Colombia and D.C. and that's how she met Pablo and Gustavo at a young age. But she was far away from them now. As she sat in the black airport chair, scanning the airport for her mother who said she would be waiting when she got there, Lucia felt anxious and uneasy with each passing minute.

Her flight had been early and they arrived sooner than she thought, so her mother wasn't there yet. Lucia had time to sit and think about where she wanted to go next. Was it back to Colombia or somewhere new? Far away in the mountains or down by the Nile? The options were endless and she had time to think about them, well that was until a family sat down next to her. It was a mother, father, and two children, young, maybe 5 and 9 or so. The woman smiled at Lucia.

"Hi, I hope these seats aren't taken." She light-heartedly said.

"No, you're fine. I'm just waiting for someone." Lucia told her and looked around the airport again. The girl, who was around 5 sat on her mother's lap and stared at Lucia. Lucia glanced at her, feeling the eyes of the child burning into her soul. The mother noticed and laughed.

"I'm sorry, she knows not to stare at people. She's so inquisitive. Darling, stop staring at the nice lady. It's not polite."

"Sorry." The little girl mumbled and leaned into her mother, embarrassed.

"It's okay. I'm just not used to being around children, that's all."

"So, none of your own? It can be rough, sometimes I don't blame you." She said and her husband nodded his head in agreement.

"I'm sure it is." Lucia replied and looked at the kids again.

"Who are you waiting for? If I may ask... is it your husband?" The lady asked and Lucia couldn't believe how nosey the woman was. She obviously wasn't from Washington, D.C. She was way to friendly for that culture.

"No... my mother actually."

"Oh, so no husband? That's okay. They can be rough too." Her husband looked at her, as if asking her to stop be so annoying.

"Yes, I'm sure they can be."

There was silence for awhile before the kids started to get fussy and hungry, the lady's husband went to take them to get lunch, which seemingly left the lady alone and anxious to talk to someone.

"I'm sorry! I didn't even tell you my name! My name is Hannah Gilsby."

"Lucia." Lucia shook the lady's hand which she extended a moment before.

"So where are you traveling from, Lucia?" Hannah asked and Lucia mentally slapped her for being intrusive. Lucia didn't ask to be bothered.

"Colombia. I work there."

"Oh wow. My family, we're from Madison, my family lives in Arlington, so we're in for the holidays."

"Well I hope it's nice for you here."

"Yes, me too."

"What kind of job do you have-"

Hannah was cut off by the sound of running security guards. Lucia perked up in that direction and furrowed her brows.

"I wonder what that's all about. I'm sure it's nothing. So what kind of job do you have?"

"I can't really say." Lucia commented quietly as she was still trying to look at what was going on down the way where she had come from in the first place.

There was another commotion that caught their attention that had to do with a bunch of people shouting.

"What in gods name is going on?" Hannah commented and before anyone could provide a response, a face Lucia truly didn't want to see came running from that hallway.

It was fucking Javier Peña.

Lucia stood up and stopped him before he missed her completely.

"Peña!" She shouted and he quickly turned around, stopping in his tracks and looking at her.

"Luce-" He was cut off by the security agents coming in quick, he pulled out his badge and held it up to them.

"I told you, I'm fucking DEA!"

"He's felling the truth." Lucia went to grab her badge from her purse and held it out to them.

"You still have to go through customs sir." One of the guards said and he sighed heavily.

"Just give me a minute. Please."

"Sir-"

"I will go back to customs if you just give me a minute." He pleaded with them and they backed away for a moment.

"Luce-"

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Lucia asked him and he truly looked defeated.

"I came to say I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said to you. You know that, I know you do."

"How am I suppose to know what you mean? You told me that I would betray you. How am I suppose to forgive you for saying that." Lucia told him and scoffed in disgust.

"I can't believe Messina let you leave for this... you should have stayed there, Javier. I suggest you get on the next flight out and get back to work. You caused a fiasco and now you got the police involved for no reason except for your selfish sorry that you came to give me. If you truly cared, you would have never thought I would betray you. You would have never thought that I would hurt you. Please don't come here again for me. It's not worth it."

"You're worth it, Luce."

"I told you not to call me that. Please. Just go."

"Lucia, please don't do this." Javier pleaded with her and she shook her head and grabbed her bags.

"I hope you've learned something here, Javier. You have no idea what you've done to me." Lucia walked away in the direction of the cabs. Luckily, her mother was walking that way and Lucia dropped her bags and ran to her.

"Oh god." Lucia broke down in her mother's arms and sobbed. Her mother soothed her hair and looked behind her where a man was being taken away by security and a woman sitting in the chairs sat dumbfounded.

"It's okay, little sun." Lucia hugged her tighter at the sound of her childhood nickname that she hadn't heard in years.

It was so good to be home.