XI

"Mom, I've done some terrible things."

Then, there was a lull in the room. Lucia rung out her hands and twisted them over and over, nervously, while she looked at the floor, unable to make eye contact with her mother. Why was she telling her these things again?

Lucia's mother sat across from her as they sat at the small kitchen table in her childhood home. The walls hadn't changed since she was a young girl, and the same cookbook sat on the counter like it always had, like she had never left for Bogotá several years ago. Lucia's mother tapped her fingers along the sides of the steaming coffee cup sat in front of her.

"Little sun, you don't need to tell me anything." She reassured Lucia but it didn't calm her nerves at all.

"I'm not suppose to tell anyone, I know, it's just so hard to live with what I've done, and I just don't know what to do anymore."

"Then tell me, be vague, I don't want you getting hurt over something like this. It's not you're fault that your bosses make you do bad things." Her mother told her and Lucia shook her head and finally looked at her mom.

"No, it's not my bosses, they aren't doing anything wrong. They're the good guys, please believe they are, because that's the truth. It's what I grew up around, when dad would take me to Colombia, where he lived, the people I knew. Everything just had to fall in place the way it did, with the government and my job and the people I knew. Mom.. I have no way of knowing that I will come out of this situation alive. There is a bounty on my head that's worth more than this house and everything we own and it's all because of people I knew and got stuck with when I was trying to do good."

"Are you still with those bad people, Luce? You have people who can protect you, you know that right?"

"No one is protected against these people, mom. There is no way in telling how they will get you when the time comes, they are masters at this game and even though I can protect myself and have the help of others, we stand no match against these people."

Lucia's mother just sat quietly listening to her speak about things she was very unfamiliar with. She didn't understand the way the government or agencies work, or how these "people" ran things, she knew her daughter had to deal with a country overpowered by drug lords who were ruthless, let alone that her daughter had ties to them which made the target on her back even larger than most.

"I just needed a break, not long though. I can't be away for as long as I'd like to be. I told my team that I would be absent for a while, but I'll be back in Bogotá sooner than I imagined. My boss called last night, while you had already gone to bed, I can't stay much longer than a week before they will literally drive a car to this house to pick me up."

"Was that man in the airport your boss?"

Lucia shook her head at her mother and crossed her arms in front of her.

"No, he's not my boss. He's the reason I needed a break, well one of them I suppose. But he had no right to make a scene like that, I didn't know that was going to happen."

"Well Luce, a man who would make a scene like that for you in an airport, might be someone you need to talk to when you go back."

Her mother got up and walked out of the kitchen but Lucia didn't move from her chair, she was deep in conflict with her emotions and she didn't want to think about him, but of course she couldn't avoid that.

Illegal. That's what these animals were, illegal. Pablo was a master manipulator and Lucia knew it and hated for growing up beside him and wished she was not apart of anything he ever did, or Gustavo for that matter, but she had to stay there now, it was her job.