Chapter 34

Zachariah

The moment I enter the room a gust of wind smacks me right in the face. I close the door behind and search for Sara knowing she was always in here at this time. It was almost Maghrib and she usually sat on her bed reading from her fortress of a Muslim.

The room was empty and so was her bed. I search around and find the doors to the balcony open. I had never seen those open before since they were usually locked.

The curtain flaps with strong wind.

I frown and slip through the doors relieved when I find Sara gazing up at the sky a book forgotten in her hands. She hadn't noticed me slip in and I got a glance of her long beautiful midnight black hair that she usually covers up. She looked fresh as if she just got out the showers, her wet hair and glowing skin was the proof.

"What you doing out here?"

As if answering my question, a gentle breeze circled Sara before hovering beside me for a second and disappearing. It felt good and it was fresh and comforting. The view was of our neighbourhood although mostly it was just trees. I doubt anyone could see us from up here.

"Isn't it beautiful?" She says instead not breaking eye contact with the sky, a small smile forming at the corners of her mouth.

"Uhuh." I nod and then drag my eyes away from her flowing hair and slender shoulders. The sky was a mixture of orange and purple. The typical sunset colours.

A few birds loitered in the sky before disappearing from the scene after circling around. It was quiet and peaceful. The only sounds was the sound of nature and my rapid heart beats as I neared.

As much as I wanted to sit and enjoy the sunset with Sara who was surprisingly calm and accepting of my return, I had to get everything off my chest.

I contemplate my decision that I had made on the train back and sit down besides her on the blanket she had laid out.

She was still admiring the scenery and I felt a little cruel for ruining this moment for her. I rake my hands through my hair and sigh.

"I have some news." I clear my throat deciding the best possible way to break such news since she was as sensitive as ever now.

She finally lowers her eyes and turns to me sensing my nervous behaviour.

"Good? Or bad?" She raises her eyebrow.

I look to her and notice no trace of fear like I had expected. The girl I had left in the morning was gone. She was just as I had met her on that first day of our Nikah, appearing to be strong, wearing a mask that disguised the mess within herself.

I frown feeling confused as to why she felt she had to disguise her pain. I could see the reality in her eyes no matter what she tried. I saw right through her the moment our eye's connected. The hurt and pain was there, but only for a second before she broke away.

I had made it clear that I was here for her always, yet she wasn't ready or comfortable to share her deepest darkest parts of her mind with me. I wish I knew what to do to rid her of these unwanted terrors. Even in the little light I could see the tiredness in her eyes. She was tired of crying. Tired of the constant pain. And it was all because of them.

In that moment I made up my mind. I realized what I wanted. I was determined to go through the plan and I was going to make it happen because I have never wanted someone behind bars more in my life than as of right now.

They were the people behind the reason Sara suffered and they deserved every bit of what was going to happen to them. I was going to make sure of it.