Chapter 45

Sara

Zachariah. Why did you leave?

I rush up the stairs taking two at a time after realising something during my drive back home.

Zachariah had mentioned once during the days when we would constantly be fighting that he was going to buy an apartment just so he could get away from me and everyone else. He even went through the hassle of searching the web and once out of anger he even went out and rented it...at least that's what he had said.

The laptop came to life and as quickly as I could I searched through the history in hopes of finding what I had wanted.

Please Allah help me to find him. In Shaa Allah I will find him. 

I silently prayed as I open up the page where Zacharia had left a book mark on one of the apartments.

Alhamdulillah. I let out my breath.

I grab a piece of paper and jot down the address and rush out with my bag in hand as fast as my legs could carry.

***

I stood outside the apartment building not knowing which door it could be. I had hastened so much that I completely forgot to check which door number. Left with not much choice, I decided to start from the bottom and make my way up to the top.

The first door I knocked on a man with greasy hair opened up. I apologized for waking him up from his sleep and moved on to the next. I worked my way through all floors and everytime someone-other than the face I was expecting-opened the door I was greeted with heavy disappointment.

There were only two more doors to try so before I knocked I made an extra lengthy and special Dua asking Allah to let it be this door.

With a deep breath I knocked but I got no answer. So I knocked again but no one opened up. With dissappointment I turned to the last door with no hope. What were the chances of it being this door? Probably zero yet I had to make sure so I knocked and a old man opened the door.

"Yes dear?" He looked to me with his grey eyes and I almost burst out crying. Zacharia wasn't here. I looked down apologetically.

"Sorry. I was looking for someone. I guess I got the wrong door."

"Oh that's okay dear. Perhaps I can help. Who are you looking for?" He turns to me.

"My hus..." I stop because I no longer knew if we would remain to be husband and wife. What if he didn't want to be my husband anymore. "I'm looking for a tall man medium build he has dark hair and..."

"Oh yes. I do know him." The man says leaning against the doors frame with both arms folded. I wait for him to tell me but he doesn't say anymore.

"You say you know him? Could you tell me where you last saw him." I finally was getting somewhere thanks to this kind man.

"Yes. Yes. The last time I saw a man like that must have been..." He puts his finger to his chin. "Yesterday. Yes yes definitely yesterday."

"Where did you see him? Please I need to know."

"I've seen lots of men that are tall. I see them all the time. On TV!" As soon as those words came out of his mouth I knew he wad of no help. Disappointment rushes within in me almost suffocating me. It seems that the only thing I had been feeling for the last couple of days were disappointment and hurt.

"Thank you for your time." I say and begin to walk off.

"If you are looking for a handsome fella though, then try going in there." He gives me a toothy grin pointing to the next door.