Chapter 37

Sara

I wake up early the next morning after having trouble sleeping the night before. When I go down for breakfast I stop glancing at the table. Last night there had been three plastic bags each containing the knives Zach had collected from the boys that had tried to take me. And now they are nowhere in sight. Thank god!

I shake my head and shudder avoiding the memories before making myself two cups of tea.

Zach had awoken before me and I was sure he had not slept properly due to his injury. The first thing he had done when we got back from the store was wash and bandage up, but he refused to see the nurse yesterday claiming he was fine. He had not wanted to leave me on my own in the house especially since father was not home too. He tried to cover up the discomfort but it was something I had experience with. The way he held his arm at an awkward angle, the way he sometimes winced would remind me of Ismail. I knew he was in pain but at least I got him to agree in seeing the nurse today.

One thing I was thankful for was he wasn't one of those who refused the hospital no matter how serious the injury was. He knew his health was of importance-unlike Ismail-Zach valued his health and had assured me he was to go patch his arm up first thing in the morning.

I carry the steaming cups of tea upstairs and push open our bedroom door with my left foot and close it with much concentration trying as not to spill any tea on the floor as it was steaming hot.

I turn hoping to see Zach and there he was; his blood stained jumper that he wore last night peeled off and on the floor, a phone balanced between his head and shoulder while he unwrapped the bandage that revealed the colour crimson as he got nearer to the wound.

I clear my throat. Zach glances up and then ends the call after muttering something along the lines of 'double it' with a voice of authority.

I walk over with caution and place his mug by the table besides the couch. When I turn back I see him struggling with the new bandage.

Deciding whether or not I should just go and sip my tea on the other end I find myself easily making my way towards the couch where he sat. I sit besides him and he pauses with a frown when he sees my outstretched hands.

"Here give it to me." I take over without meeting his eyes and get on with the task at hand that I had done so many times before in the past. It was the least I could do after he risked his life to protect me.

The wound was deeper than I had imagined and it was still bleeding but at least not as much as yesterday. My body tingled from our close proximity and his silent gaze that was locked on me made the sensation to intensify. Once again I became very hot from head to toe, my inside burning from within and my heart picked up speed.

Did he have to watch me?

"Th..those knives...why did you bring them home?" I say trying to get his attention on something besides me.

"Those knives have their fingerprints all over it. You didn't think I was going to let them get away just like that did you? After they thought they could kidnap you?" He seemed surprised by my question and I felt stupid for asking such a question. Of course he would not let them just walk away. It was his job to protect the people. Those men or boys or whoever they were, were better off if they were locked up. They had actually tried to stab Zach without hesitation and for that they must be capable of other awful things too.

"Your hands shaking." He points out.

"Then stop looking at me." I answer with a steady voice as I secure the bandage. If possible he looks to me even more almost as if he was trying to see through me. Into my soul if possible.