Dresses and messes Episode 4

Louise's p.o.v
Gracie brings our three juices to our table. "What should I bring for the party this year?"
"What party?" Julia says, stirring her juice lightly and making the ice cubes clink.
"We're not having that this year. We can't risk the inevitable happening."
"What do you mean? You have it every year!" Gracie almost choked on her drink.
"Well, this year is obviously very different."
"What are you supposed to tell your lifeguard friends?"
"Whoa! You're a lifeguard?" Julia says.
"I was a junior lifeguard." I look down in shame at the table. "Not anymore."
"It's quite a sensitive subject for her. She quit the Monday we came back for school."
"Anyhow," I look back up. "I've already told them that I've cancelled any parties from here on out. They were disappointed, of course, but I told them that just wasn't me anymore."
"And they actually bought it?" Julia asks.
"I guess I have a trustworthy face."
"I still think we should have a party. The three of us. To celebrate your run as a former lifeguard."
"I don't want to be reminded of the life I left behind." I get up and take my juice to go. I come home and throw my styrofoam cup in the trash.
"You're back earlier than usual." Mum says, putting dishes in the drying rack.
"I decided to take a nap." I start to head over to my room when Mum calls me back down.
"Find a nice dress to put on. We're having lunch with the Anderssons."
"You're kidding." After some silence, I try again. "Tell me you're kidding."
"What's wrong with a nice, quiet lunch with the Anderssons? Carl will be there." Carl, unbeknownst to my mum, is the biggest jerk in town. His dad and mine became salesman together, though his dad is richer, and therefore more well-known. Thus, Carl and I grew up together, but we were never friends.
"I'm not going unless Gracie and Julia can come too."
"Only if you promise not to wonder off."
"I won't." I go up to my room.
Gracie's p.o.v back at Mary's Milkshakes
"I guess now would be a bad time to mention I got a job at the Marine Park." I say after Louise has left.
She lets out a hmmph of surprise. "What do you do if you can't get wet?"
"I feed the dolphins. With proper protection, of course." I turn my head to look at the time. "I have to go. My shift starts soon. See ya around."
I arrive at work in a apron, long gloves, and a shower cap. I grab the tong that I use to pick up the wet fish and carefully place it in the water filled bucket. Things are going well until the intercom comes on and screeches like a banshee and I spill the bucket of water on myself. I hurry into the janitors closet. I transform in there. It's mighty crowded in here for a person with legs. I hug my tail to my chest, which doesn't help much.
Julia's p.o.v
I come to the Marine Park to check on Gracie. Sure enough, I found a puddle back where they feed the fish, after some snooping. I dry the puddle and open the closet and Gracie's tail plops loudly on the floor.
"How'd you'd find me?" Gracie asks, as I begin to dry her tail.
"I decided to play detective for a while." Her tail disappears, and we hear footsteps coming our way.
"Hide!" Gracie pushes me into the closet and closes it.
A woman I'm assuming is her boss speaks. "Your friend Louise is looking for you." I can imagine her eyes slowly darting  up and down her strange get up.
"Thank you, Mrs. Smith." Her heels click as she leaves. When the clicking sound is far enough away, I'm let out.
We see Louise in a dark blue dress and dark flat shoes. "Good news. We're having dinner with the Anderssons." She says sarcastically. There's a long box in her hands. "For you." She hands it to me.
"Don't tell me I'm invited. And worse, I've got to wear this." I pull out a long, green skirt.
"I figured a girl like you wouldn't have anything like this in your closet. I think that this color would look good on you. Come on, we'll stop by Gracie's and you can change there."
"This dress is too tight." I shout from in the bathroom. "Are you sure I can't just cut some tiny holes near the hips to let them breathe?"
"I already answered that. No!" Louise says.
"It isn't fair. You two are used to wearing dresses. These shoes look too small."
"It's not my fault you don't have at least one pair of formal shoes. Put them on." I refuse to put them on until the very last second, when everyone else is getting into the car.
Gracie's p.o.v
Fast forward to us at the dinner party. I don't see Carl or his girlfriend Mary Jane anywhere, so I take that as a good sign. "Welcome!" Says Mr. Andersson. "It's good to see you Louise, Gracie." He nods to the both of us. "I don't believe I've met you before...?"
"Julia." He holds out his hand, and she shakes it tentatively. "What have you got to eat around here?" She starts for the fridge, but I grab her arm.
"I'm sorry." Louise says. "Apparently, Julia never learned manners." She looks at Julia.
"No matter. Dinner will be served in a few minutes." He walks away.
"These shoes hurt." Julia complains.
"Beauty is pain." Says Louise.
As promised, dinner was served very quickly. Roast beef bigger than my face, corn, green beans, and a roll. Sparkling cider was served on those fancy plates that usually serves wine. Louise passes a napkin to me.
This party is boring. Want to cause some mischief?
Based on the barely readable writing, I can see Julia wrote it. I'm not sure what to say, so I hand it back to Louise. She scribbles something onto the paper. She gets up supposedly going to the bathroom. Something gooey comes onto the floor. "The ice cream!" Mr. Benjamin shouts. I glance at Julia. Quickly, she sits back down. Mr. Benjamin cries out. "Everything is ruined! The ice cream is everywhere!" He sighs. "Everyone go home."
All three of us eat McDonald's in the car, since no one really got to eat dinner at the Anderssons.
"I've got to use the ladies room." Says Louise's mum. "You three stay here. Come along, James." When they leave, I scold Julia.
"I can't believe you did that."
Julia dips her fries in ketchup. "Don't tell me you actually enjoyed that party."
"Was that supposed to be our pass out of there?" Louise takes another petite bite of her burger.
"Maybe. Maybe not." She takes her ketchup filled fries and puts a tiny dot on Louise's nose. We giggle.