Healing or hurting? Episode 5

Julia's p.o.v.
"Wouldn't eating fish be cannabilism, now that we're mermaids?"
"If that were true, wouldn't you choose not to eat my mothers' fish?" Asks Louise.
"I think it's disrespectful for you two to be eating in front of my fish." Says Gracie.
"Relax. We'll give them a bit of food and they'll forget all about it." Julia picks at the last of her food.
"I can feel them giving me the evil eye." Gracie takes our plates to go put them in the sink.
"I'm grateful your Mum had leftovers. I've never had fish quite like hers." Gracie smiles with pride.
Gracie's p.o.v in the kitchen
I put the dishes in the sink, then start towards my room.
"Where do you think you're going?" Says Dad.
"To my room."
"The dishes aren't done."
"Well, I--"
"No excuses. Get to it."
"Couldn't I bring Louise and Julia down here? I'd be a lot faster with them." He points toward the sink. "I can't. I have a phobia of water."
"I'm not even going to dignify that with a response."
"Really, it's true. I tried to grab my flip-flop that got carried away into the tide. Someone was kind enough to save me when I almost drowned."
He huffs. "Kids today and their stories." If only he knew the real one. He gets back to his newspaper. I know he expects me to do them. "Do you want me to ask them to leave?"
"No, they can wait."
"Alright, let me go tell them." I go to my room. "My dad wants me to do the dishes. He won't budge about it, either. I know that much."
"Looks like we might have to be pulled into this story after all. Let's see if we can convince him." Says Louise.
"Hello, Mr. Watsford."
"I thought I told them they could wait."
"Her story about her almost drowning is true. I saved her." I cringe slightly. Already our story is beginning to have holes.
"And now she has a phobia."
"Yes, sir."
"So I guess you two can do the dishes then." He doesn't look up from his newspaper.
"Actually--"
"Don't tell me you've got a phobia, too."
What can I do but be honest? I quit my junior lifesaver job because of it."
"And I guess Julia just so happens to have a phobia as well."
"Well, I guess we've all been hit by a streak  of bad luck."
"Tell me the story then. About this... phobia of yours."
"Well, Julia and I were playing in the waves at the beach. Suddenly, a giant wave pulled us under. It took all my strength to get us back to shore."
"I suppose I should see about getting a therapist."
"A what?" I laugh nervously.
"Don't you want to get rid of your phobia?"
"Well, yes, but--"
"Then it's settled."
"But you can't!" Shouts Louise. We wait a second for her to say something more, but it never comes.
"I assume that if you get a therapist you'll have to tell our parents about that kind of thing. But our parents don't know because we figure why stress them out more than they already are? Parents work all day, we don't need to add trauma therapy to their list. Right, girls?" Julia concludes. We nod.
"If therapy will help you get over all of this, then it's really no trouble at all." He heads over to the telephone and starts dialing. "Go back to your room. I'll see who I can find."
"Well, that went well." I say after we come back to my room.
"Maybe we should make a run for it." Julia says.
"Like that would work for long. I roll over on my back. "We'll be found out in a matter of minutes."
"It's not like they're going to attach wires to our head to find out our darkest secrets." I turn back over and sit up.
"They may as well be! If they won't crack it out of us now, they will eventually."
"It's not like sitting here talking about it will do us much good." Says Louise.
"Who even knows if he'll find one today? I highly doubt--" I put a hand over Julia's mouth. "Don't. You'll jinx us." The doorbell rings. "See?"
"Girls, your therapist is here!" Why can't I disappear into the wall? Julia takes the first step out and we follow.
"Come meet Dr. Lens." Dr. Lens is a short woman with a somewhat plump stature. Her eyes are a light shade of brown, and her hair is just a touch darker. She holds her hand out to us, and we shake them individually.
"Gracie, your father tells me your fear of water is so severe you won't even go near it. And from what I remember, it's the same with you two." She then makes eye contact with Louise and Julia and I'm not sure if we're supposed to respond. Before I can, she asks my Dad for a glass of water. She grabs it and and puts it on the table. "I think I'll start with the two of you," she says, referring to Gracie and Louise, "because I think you will have more severe cases. Gracie, if you will retire to your room and I will assess you as soon as possible."
"Ok then." With Louise having a look of fear, and Julia one of concern, I'm afraid to leave them. Not because I think our secret will be revealed, but because that glass is way too full. I run there before I have any more time to worry.
I must have fallen asleep, because I'm shaken awake. "It's time." Says Louise.
I sit up. "Be careful. She spilled water on us and we made it out ok, but she is one of the clumsiest people I have ever seen."
"Ok. I'll do my best."
She greets me when I come into the living room. "Hello, Gracie."
"I've never done this before." I stand awkwardly.
"Sit or lie down... whatever makes you comfortable."  No position on this Earth could get me comfortable for this situation. I decide on sitting across from her.
"Tell me your story once again." I recite the story again. She scribbles on her paper as I do so. "This is the most extreme case of Aqua-phobia I've ever seen. I think I'll have to put you and your friends down for electro-shock therapy." My eyes widen.
"Can't we just go to group therapy or something?"
"I'm afraid not. You and your friends are unique, and as such, group meetings don't exist. If I were to tip this glass of water your way--" the tip of her finger touches the glass, and tips it over my way. Subtly, I tip it her way, and the water spills all over her lap. She gasps. "I think that's enough for today."
"How are things going?" My dad comes of his room.
"We'll keep in touch." Quickly, she leaves, skirt dripping water onto the floor.
"What was that about?"
"Poor lady spilled water on her lap."
"Well, we made it." I lay down on my bed. "I suppose he'll get a maid?" I look up at my ceiling fan.
"Here's to hoping." Says Louise.