Change in the air Episode 24

Louise's p.o.v
I can't believe she found a fish scale. When a confused Max told us what they talked about, I almost couldn't shove my fear down far enough so he couldn't see it. Later, when we started panicking at my house, Julia responded with "Goodness, first Carl, now this." Then put her head low and rubbed her head. Nonetheless, now the four of us were enjoying our time together as friends at the Maine Park. I suppose it's good that my parents decided to surprise me with a desert trip, so that problem is solved.
"Did you know that there's a lunar eclipse tonight?" Asks Max. We shake our heads. "As well as a full moon. Can you believe it? It sounds spectacular! I hope I can see it tonight."
"Some say it makes for a magical night." I say.
"You're full of it!" We laugh together. We decide to go get ice cream but Max studies for an upcoming test, staying behind. As we lick our ice creams, Penny from school speaks. "I shouldn't be telling you all this, but I don't know who to tell, and you have such trustworthy faces. My dad writes down statistics for this marine biologist named Dr. Harpman and rumor has it that they've found mermaids at Mako Island! They've got pictures! Three! Isn't that amazing?"
For a moment, we don't respond. I do a fake laugh. "I think we're awestruck. Can we get these in cups?"
"This is really bad. Do you think they know it's us?" I say when we come to my house.
"Probably not, otherwise they'd come for us." Gracie says.
"They could be taking photos right now. We shouldn't be standing."
"Everything will be fine as long as we don't draw attention to ourselves." Says Julia.
Max's p.o.v
Carl comes running up to me. "Max, come quick, it's an emergency!" He says, panicked.
"What's going on?"
"There's no time to explain!" He says there's something in Dr. Harpmans' office I need to see.
"I don't see anything." I hear the sound of a lock and I turn around. I've been trapped.
"Hey! Carl, what's the meaning of this?" He holds up big cards with words on them.
"I want you to pick up that telephone beside you, call Gracie, Julia, or Louise until one of them answers. Sound panicked when you read these words. That's your ticket out of here."
Louise's p.o.v
"Phone for you, Louise. I grab it. "You'd better check in him, he's panicking."
"What's wrong, Max?"
"There's something strange here at Mako Island. You have to come immediately."
"Strange how?"
"I can't explain it, it's a terrible sight. Just come and look, I think I might be in danger." I hang up.
"We've gotta go!" We run to Mako. Of course, not wanting him to see our tails, we swim to the land entrance and get out there.
"Max? Max, where are--" Dr. Harpman is standing at the other side of the pool.
"Glad to see you made it. I think it's time we talk." Gracie makes a ball of water come up, and I freeze it, and Gracie throws it at her assistant. He ducks, making the ice ball shatter into snow. As he falls, Dr. Harpman shows us pictures of Max trapped somewhere. "If something were to happen to me--"
"What do you want from us?"
A male voice calls for her. "I'm right here."
As he comes from the cave, I see that he is Mr. Andersson. "This is the man who's been funding this."
"Remarkable." He says.
Carl walks up. "I told you I could get the job done."
"I underestimated you. Now, who wants to go first?" We look at each other. We dive under but we can't leave because there's steel bars trapping us. We tug but nothing works. We surface and see that the scientists are now working, and not paying attention to us. We hear something opening and falling.
"What was that?" Says Dr. Harpman.
"The sound of freedom." Says Julia. We dive and head home.
Gracie's p.o.v
"That was too close. We were almost lab rats. They can't be stopped." Louise says. I think for a moment.
"Maybe they can. This morning when the four of us were hanging out, I felt a sense of change."
"What caused this?" Louise asks.
"I didn't know until Max mentioned the lunar eclipse. I remembered saying it makes for a magical night and I thought the lunar eclipse will bring change. And change we need now more than ever."
"What kind of change?" Asks Julia.
"The lunar eclipse, if I remember correctly, draws away the moons light. I'm thinking it will turn us human again."
"Are you suggesting we take the easy way out?"
"They won't leave us alone if we don't." Again, we take the land route to Mako.
"It's things like this you think will last forever. We hold hands. "What will you miss most? I'll miss being an undefeated champion." Brags Louise.
"I'll miss having control over water." I say.
"I'll miss every bit of what we had." Says Julia. Bubbles come up from a random spot in the pool.
"Is that supposed to happen?" I ask. The bubbles rise and become louder as Dr. Harpman and two assistants surface. We back away.
"Stay right where you are. She says as her and another assistant come onto the sand. "We don't want to have to hurt you."
"We wish we could say the same." Julia threatens. They stagger nervously as Gracie makes the water stand straight, and it flows up as with a grunt, she throws it at at one of the assistants. Instantly, I know he's knocked out. The other assistant climbs out the water, and I freeze his suit and he grunts like he's being crushed. Eventually he staggers with a oof. We all turn toward Dr. Harpman and raise our hands to her, ready to activate our powers.
"Wait! I'm prepared to give you girls an offer!"
"Not interested. Julia says. "When we enter the water, we're giving up everything."
"But why?"
"Because of people like you." I explain. The moon pool starts to bubble and glow lightly.
"There will always be people like you trying to exploit us. You gave us only one option." Louise says.
We start for the moon pool, but still she tries to convince us.
"I-If we work together--" she stutters.
"Don't." Julia says firmly. I put Julia's hand in my right, Gracie's in my left. We look at each other, giving each other the go ahead as we jump. The glow and bubble is less intense than when we were first here. The moon light slowly recedes into darkness. It turns into a crescent moon as a burst of sound and light that would've blinded normal eyes washes over us. The crescent moon is on the right now and disappears from the moon pool. Our clothes are soaked as the transformation is complete. The others come out of the pool and I face Dr. Harpman before leaving.
"It's over. Just go home."
Dr. Harpmans p.o.v
No... I shake my head in disbelief. It can't be. I look at the hole in the volcano, moonless.
At Mary's Milkshakes
"Is everything all right? Do you want another water?"
"No thanks. She's insane. I hope she never comes back. Max replies. "I found out about the cage near in Mako Island and I thought that whatever she's trapping doesn't need to be trapped. So I escaped, grab my boat and a hook and freed it."
"I'm sure those creatures are very thankful."
"I'm going to relax a while at the beach." Says Julia.
"I think I'm going to take a bath." I say.
"I should go too." Louise says, and we say our goodbyes as we set off to do our tasks.
Julia's p.o.v
I let the tide tickle my toes, a feeling I haven't felt in a while, and one I drink in. My brows furrow as my legs become numb. It couldn't possibly be, I think as I fall on the ground with my tail. What is this?!
Gracie's p.o.v
I can't believe this. I shake my head. I was so sure..
Louise's p.o.v
Julia and Gracie run up to me as I'm swimming in the local pool. "Don't worry, Says Julia. "I heated the doorknob so people won't come in." I push myself out the pool.
"We came to warn you." Says Gracie as Julia drys my tail.
"But you said--" I start.
"I looked in a book that said during a lunar eclipse the moon passes through the earths shadow. But I don't understand how the lunar eclipse lasts for-- she looks over at Julia's watch, "about two hours but we lost our powers for 12."
"Blame the magic." Louise says. "Let's get out of here. I already miss Mako."