Nancy is my middle name Episode 19

Louise's p.o.v
"Hey." I whisper to Julia over the phone. "Gracie and I are going for a swim. Wanna come?"
"Sorry, I've got plans." That seemed to be her motto over the past few weeks. I mean, she was the first one to offer a swim to Mako, but now she seems to be shying away from it. She doesn't even hang out with us at Mary's Milkshakes anymore. Not willingly, anyway. We have to beg her to come. As I'm thinking this, I hang up the phone. "She's bailing on us again."
"Ah, come on let's go, she might come around." Says Gracie. After we surface, I sigh. "Y'know... Julia's been acting strange lately."  I turn over on my stomach. She never hangs out with us anymore."
"Yes she does!" Gracie defends her.
"Not for very long. She comes and goes so quick it's like she never even sat down." I exhale. "We need to start an investigation."
"I'm sure everything is fine; there's no real need for an investigation."
"If everything was fine, don't you think she would've provided an explanation?"
"I'm sure it's as simple as calling and asking."
"I'll do your way first, then my way." Without waiting for a response, I dive under so that I can go home and call her.
Gracie's p.o.v
Being that Louise left, I decide to go near the pier and help Max catch fish. When I think he's caught enough, I go dry off and head home. I call him to find out how ecstatic he was about catching fish.
"I mean, it was like magic!"'
"I wish I could've been there. That sounds amazing."
"I've got enough fish for your dinner tonight. I'll come by so you can get them."
"That's sweet. Thanks."'
"Sure. What time should I come by?"
I shout at Mum to see when he can come over. "Mum says now is fine."
"See you then." I assume he's about to hang up when I stop him.
"Wait! What do you know about Carl?"
"Carl is a spoiled rich boy who only cares for himself."
"And what about Julia?"
"I like to think of her as one of those bittersweet candies. Except you replace the bitterness with sarcasm. With Julia, you get both sweet and sarcastic, albeit sweet might not be the best word. This was a terrible comparison."
"Thanks for the opinion." I hang up. I think back to Max's comparison of bittersweet to Julia. I imagine Julia is the sweeter side, and Carl is the bitter side. I know the saying opposites attract, but I still don't see them going steady.
Louise's p.o.v at Mary's Milkshakes
"Stop dodging the question! Where have you been and why won't you tell us anything?"
"Why couldn't we have finished this over the phone?"
"Because I suspected you of lying, and clearly you are because you're beating around the bush." A look of confusion with a hint of conflict comes over her face. "Why won't you give me a clue as to what's going on? I worry about you. If you just give me one measly clue, I'll be happy." She inhales slightly, the look of conflict growing more, "Give me some time." She looks down at her wristwatch. "Speaking of, I'm meant to be somewhere." I sigh, worried for my ever-distant friend. Gracie comes up, watching Julia as she leaves.
"Any luck?"
"No... did you manage to get anything out of her?"
"No. I'm sure she'll tell us when she's ready."
"That's basically what she was saying. You don't think she's grown bored of us, do you?" I think back to the picture of us, where we were in the moon pool, and Julia in the middle, arms around us, looks mischievous. That look intensifies in the next photo, where we're on the sand part of Mako, tails raised, and joyful smiles. That's my favorite photo out of the few ones taken since we've been together. We were so happy in that picture.
"Of course not. We're stuck together, for better or worse. As long as she's stuck with us, she might as well have fun." I smile. "There you go! Turn that frown upside down."
"Was I frowning?" I accidentally voiced my thoughts out loud.
"Yes, you were, and for the record... it's not a good look."
"No use moping around. Let's get more juice."
"Whoever can come up with the healthiest, tastiest, smoothie wins." She runs inside, getting a head start.
"Hey! Wait for me!"