Moon spell Episode 6

Gracie's p.o.v
"Dad, is the fish prepared properly for tonight?"
"Of course. I've caught my best fish."
"Remember the order I want them to come out in." I look over at Mum to see she's using the same color balloons. "Mum," I walk over, "put some variety in there. Instead of just yellow, try putting some red, green and orange." The doorbell rings. When I open it, Louise and Julia greet me. "Come on in. You can help."
"Wow!" Says Louise. "This place looks great. Max will love it." She says when she enters.
"Umm... what's with all the yellow?" Says Julia.
"Don't worry. Mum will fix it soon enough. Help me decorate this cake."
"That sounds boring. Is there something more interesting I can do?"
"I suppose you can go help Dad put the fish in the right order."
"I'd much rather do the sampling." She says under her breath before going to help him.
I put on the oven mitten and get the cake out of the oven. It's a triple layer chocolate cake that will be completed with dollops of whipped cream, strawberries on top, and a Happy Birthday, Max in the middle with white frosting. After Louise and I finish decorating the cake, I do the honor of putting 15 candles on the cake. He's lucky enough to have it on the weekend this year. It's a fairly small party, just how he likes it. The three of us, my parents as chaperones, and a few close relatives. It's going to be perfect.
Night falls, and I have one more chance to make sure everything is exactly how it's supposed to be. Cake on the living room table. Check. Plates all around the kitchen table. Check. Plenty of napkins and silverware. Check. Punch on the kitchen counter. Check. Cups and straws for the punch. Check. Fish in the correct order. Check. I realize there is no ladle for the punch. I grab one and put it in the bowl. As the waves in the punch began to calm down, I can see the full moon. Its image becomes clearer. I blink and blink.
"You ok, Gracie?" Mum says. I stare. One of Max's relatives come over to greet me.
"I think you should consider a haircut."
"What's wrong with you?" Julia, dressed in party attire, comes up to me.
"Nothing. I'm perfectly peachy." I pinch her cheek.
Julia's p.o.v
"Something strange has happened to Gracie." I say after I find Louise.
"Strange, how?"
Gracie is chugging a water bottle down and spilling it all over her dress and onto the floor. Onlookers gasp.
"I'm sorry. Louise says, pulling her away from the guests. "She probably just needs some fresh air." She drags her away before she can be found out. I follow. She takes her outside. We couldn't have taken her out a moment sooner, as she's transformed."You need to calm down."
"I'm hungry. I want a ham sandwich." Gracie twiddles with her hair.
"Ok. Stay here. Watch her."
"Forget the ham. Just sardines and bread."
"Ok." I start for the inside.
"No, wait! Just sardines."
"Alright, then." She heads inside. I try to dry her tail but it isn't working. She comes back with cans of sardines. "We have a problem. Max is here."
"Her tail won't go away."
"Why would I  want it to? Being a mermaid is amazing! Sardines, please!" I hand them to her. She opens them and shoves them in her mouth like there's no tomorrow. We grimace.
"Girls, where are you?" It's Max. Not very gracefully, we pick her up and place her on a lawn chair. We keep her hidden behind some plants.
"There you are! The party is inside."
Gracie pushes the plants out the way. "Come to Mako Island with me, Max!" I push the plants back and block her way.
"Mako Island?" He frowns.
"Don't mind her. Just a bit of food poisoning." I say. "We'll be there in a minute!" He shakes his head and leaves. I push the leaves back so I can see her face. "Stay here!"
"We can't just leave her!" Exclaims Louise.
"We don't have a choice." Unfortunately for us, that was the last of the sardines.
"Sorry for the delay!" Says Louise.
"How's Gracie?" Asks Max.
"I'm sure she just needs some fresh air."
"It's not severe, is it?"
"I don't think so."
"So she'll be down any minute." He says, confirming it with himself. Just then, all the fish is served. "This looks beautiful!"
"Gracie prepared the whole thing! The party, I mean. Not the fish. That was her Dads' doing."
"I hope she heals fast enough so I can thank her." Then everyone eats their fish, and Gracie's dad gets complements all around. Then I hear a dull thud. "What was that?" Inquires Max.
"I'll go see. Come on, Louise." We head outside where Gracie has hoisted herself onto the concrete.
"I'm hungry. There's fish in there. I want some." Her wet hair is dripping onto the concrete. I know we can't give her any. She'll get the whole platter before people have gotten a chance to get seconds.
"Why is your hair wet?" Asks Louise.
"I've been out to Mako. It's lovely."
"Get back in the water. We'll bring you your fish." She turns over on her back, pushes off the concrete, and slips into the water.
"What did you do that for? I shout. She'll eat it all before--"
"I know. But if we don't give it to her here, she'll come inside. Stay here and watch her. I'll be ba--" A cloud moves and the full moon appears. I stare.
"Louise?"I put my hand in front of her face, but she's unresponsive. A cloud darkens the sky, and Louise says, "What are you doing?"
"That was weird. That's what has a hold of Gracie."
"We can't stay here. I'll lure her to Mary's Milkshakes with fish."
"What about Max?"
"We have to leave him and we have to leave now." She hurries inside and comes back with fish. Gracie surfaces. "Follow us to Mary's Milkshakes!"
Gracie hoists herself onto the pier. I dry her off and drag her into Mary's. I heat up the fish because it got cold on the way here. Louise puts it in front of her. She wolfs it down. Louise grabs a towel to cover her tail. "How did you know where the towels were?"
"I work here now." She drapes it over her tail. "Good night."
Gracie's p.o.v
I stretch and yawn. That was a good nights' sleep. Why am I in the same clothes as last night? I look around. Why am I on the floor of Mary's Milkshakes? Julia and Louise wake up groggily. "What happened?"
"The moon did something weird to you." Says Louise. "We need to talk."
We walk back home. All the decorations are gone. The house is back to normal.
"Gracie, where have you been?"
"We've been trying to cure her food poisoning." Louise says.
"The noise was getting to be too much." I say. "I'm going to go lay down." We head to my room. "What happened to me? I remember double checking everything for the party and then... nothing."
"You ate a bunch of fish. You went swimming in Mako. Then we lured you here with more fish."
"Max! You left him at his own party! He probably hates me now!" I run out of my room. I call Max and tell him to meet me at the beach.
"Hi." He says.
"I'm so sorry."
"It's ok. I'm glad you're feeling better. I saved you some cake." He gives me a plate with cake on it.
"Thanks!"
"Don't mention it."