Jake

POV: Catie

I stare Jake down as he smirks at me. His hands grasp a pistol as they slowly raise them up, his smirk not once dropping.

"How the fuck did you even get in here?" I asked in a completely annoyed tone. "I thought I was done with you. How did you get out?"

Jake didn't respond. He only pulled the hammer back on the revolver.

"Please don't kill her Jake." Kate begged as she began to cry again.

"I have to." He snapped before looking the door and looking at me down the sights.

My heart stopped. Everything stopped. If he pulls the trigger, there won't be any dancing around death again.

"As long as she is here, you are protected. If she dies, you go home and I can kill you." His voice had a laugh behind the words as he spoke.

"Why don't you fight me? Are you too afraid?" I taunted as I ripped the IV out of my arm, but once my hand went back I hit the 'call nurse' button, hiding my actions perfectly. I jumped on the ground and wobbled a little, but the adrenaline is keeping me up. I need to protect Kate. She cannot leave me, and I'll be damned if he makes me leave her.

"Because I'm not stupid enough to fight a fighter, even if they are wounded." He shrugged.

"Don't do something you'll regret." I smirked at him as I slowly stalked forward. Where in the hell is the damn nurse? Glad I'm not dying.

"Oh don't worry." He laughed hard, but didn't lower the weapon. "I won't regret a thing about this."

The nurse walked into the room in shock before tackling Jake which caused the gun to slide across the floor all the way to Kate's foot.

Kate quickly yet hesitantly picked it up and handed it to me.

Jake rolled the two over so he could try to pummel the male nurse's face in, but the nurse was smarter than what Jake had in mind.

The nurse moved his head over which caused Jake to punch the tile floor as harder as he could; more than likely shattering every bone in his hand.

Jake rolled over on his back as he held his hand, but quickly grabbed a knife from his waistband and held it up so he could stab the nurse, but before he could stab the nurse.... I ended it all.

Kate screamed and hid behind me, clutching onto the back of my shirt as Jake gasped for air, yelling at me as he took his last breaths. Other hospital workers came running in the room and took Jake away so they could save him, or do their best. A hollow point bullet doesn't go through someone, it stays in them.

"No more." I whispered to myself before I unloaded the gun and put it on the table so someone could come get it. I then tried to get back into bed, but Kate had to help me because I'm still weak like it or not. More nurses ran in to help me. One put the IV back in before helping Kate get in the bed beside me.

She was crying hysterically. I don't know if it's from her brother probably dying now, or that it's all over finally.

"I love you." I whispered in her ear before kissing her forehead.

"I love you too. These are tears of relief. It's all over now. No more attacks, no more getting hurt, or you getting hurt. It's all over." She gave me a sad smile before relaxing in my arms.

My mom and dad came running in with plates of food that they set down before hugging us both.

We made it.

"He is gonna die, isn't he?" Kate looked up at me. "It's wrong that I still care bout him because of what he's done to us, but at the end of the day... he's still my brother. When we were growing up, no one would've guessed he'd turn out like this. He was so kind and helping. He was once overprotective over me, but now he wants to kill me." Kate began to cry hard again as she clutched onto my shirt.

"They're gonna do what they can to save him. He doesn't need to be put in jail, he needs to be put in a psychiatric hospital, because that's not a physical issue, that's a mental issue that makes him lash out like this. He needs help, not to be locked away for the rest of his life for several counts of attempted murder, because that's not him. You know who he is. That's not him." I whispered to her. I mean, if my brother turned out like that, I'd still care about him. He died protecting me though, but that's a story for later.

"How do you still have this big of a heart even after all he has done to you?" She asked me in a soft tone as she looked in my eyes.

"My brother gave me his heart before he died, so I've got two hearts which makes me have a big heart. I've learned to sympathize with people no matter the situation, because at the end of the day we're all people. Some have psychological issues that affect them as a person, but that isn't them." I kissed her forehead after speaking and she just looked at me in awe. I don't know why. It's true.

"I love you." She whispered before kissing my lips slowly.

"I love you more." I smiled into the kiss.

"Damn I got lucky." She whispered to herself as she pulled away and laid her head on my chest.

"Nah, I did." I laughed at my father making a gagging face and gesture.

"God you two are cheesy." My dad said which caused everyone to laugh, even the nurses.

"They love each other, what do you expect?" My mom questioned with raised eyebrows, taunting my dad.

"Something not as cheesy." He shrugged before starting to eat.

"Oh please, on our first date you said 'it's sweet because you're my sweetie' which is about as cheesy as it gets." My mom said with her hands on her hips which caused Kate and I to laugh.

"That's taking cheesy to a whole new level." Kate said each word in between each laugh.

"And you thought we were cheesy?" I asked him as he blushed and looked away, trying to pull it off by coughing.

——————————————————————

"Jake got lucky... if you got him two centimeters to the right, not even that, he would've died in two minutes. You didn't hit any major arteries or veins, but you did puncture his lung, but that's a fixable thing; multiple severed veins and arteries aren't. It's practically a lost cause." The doctor told Kate and I as he held his clipboard to his hip.

"When can we leave?" I asked him as Kate started to open up another cup of pudding. It's like, her fourth one in two hours.

"We'll clear you in a few hours. You just have to keep taking the antibiotics to keep the infection out. That's the main thing. You've done a lot of healing and the stitches will do the rest for you other than the fusing, but the infection is all you. You have to take the pills or it'll come back." He informed me before patting my leg and walking out the door.

"Your brother is gonna make it." I gave her a sad smile.

"I don't know if I should be happy about that or not." Kate whispered before putting another spoonful of pudding in her mouth.

"You should be whatever feels right for you." I told her as I rolled on my side to face her.

"What feels right is relief, but at the same time I'm not because that means he can still hurt you." She said in a soft tone, not once looking up from her pudding cup.

"He won't be able to touch either of us again. I promise. You just worry about your pudding." I laughed a little at the end which made her smile before she put a little bit on my nose. "Hey!" I yelled a little.

She jumped out of the bed as she laughed so I couldn't get her.

"That's cheating!" I whined.

"No, it's being smart." She smiled victoriously as she ate another spoonful of pudding.

"Butthead." I stuck my tongue out at her playfully.

"If you stick that tongue out again, I'm gonna bite it the next time I kiss you." She whispered in a seductive tone as a smirk crept on her lips.

I'm sure I blushed because she started to laugh again.

Honestly, this will never get old for me.