Real or Not Real

POV: Catie

It's been a few days since I talked to Gale at the park.

I've been putting my emotions into softball to at least suppress my pain. I try to act like I'm not hurting inside, but I'm sure it's obvious to anyone who knows me.

The season just kicked off last night with a ten to one win, and another game was scheduled for Friday.

I haven't seen Kate since she walked out of the locker room with Gale which slightly worried me, but not enough to care since she left willingly. I can't blame her though. I mean really. Who would want to be with someone like me?

"Flag! Focus! This is the forth time in the last ten minutes I've caught you daydreaming! Now focus before I make you run!" My coach yelled which snapped me out of my thoughts.

I love softball. Softball is my life now. Yeah, I don't need Kate.... pft, who am I kidding? I need her.

I snapped out of my thoughts at the sound a bat hitting a ball and I looked up to see a bright yellow ball flying at my face, so I quickly ducked and stuck my glove up so I would catch it and prevent me from having to run after it.

"That's what you get for not paying attention." My coach held a small smirk on his face.

If only he knew what was going on in my mind.

The rest of practice went by pretty quickly. I can focus easier when I'm catching because the fact that there is a leather ball full of pain coming at me at seventy miles an hour is quite stimulating.

"Flag, come here!" My coach called to me as I was packing up my stuff. Oh boy, here we go. The whole 'you should pay more attention blah blah blah' bullshit.

I throw the rest of my stuff in my bag quickly before walking out of the dugout with my hands in my back pockets. My eyes locked onto my cleats as the kicked the clay with every step.

"What is going on Catie?" A softer and more caring voice, and the use of my real name shocked me and I looked up at him like he had fourteen heads. "Yes, I care more than you guys think. I don't have kids, so you guys are my kids. Now what is going on?"

I couldn't help the smile that crept on my face, but it quickly fell when I thought about what is going on. "Just some family issues." I lied perfectly and he nodded with a saddened expression.

"Let me know when you feel like telling the truth kid, because I'm always here to listen." He gave me a sad smile before walking off of the field to his truck.

I just watched him with my mouth a gape. How in the hell did he know I was lying? Only my parents and... you know who, knows when I'm lying. Usually I pull it off without any hiccups, but apparently I didn't this time, or maybe I did, but since he has known me for years he probably knows when I'm lying by now.

I left my cleats on the front porch before walking inside of my house once again without Kate by my side.

My mom ran to look, but her face dropped when she didn't see Kate with me.

"How was your day?" My mother spoke in a saddened tone.

"Same as yesterday I guess." I shrugged before walking upstairs to the bathroom where I will cry in the shower for a hour before I go to bed, where I will cry for another hour before I pass out from exhaustion.

This is how everyday has been since Kate left me for that guy. Miserable. Depressing. Lifeless.

I really don't want to go to school today. I haven't wanted to go all week, but since I had missed so much from kicking ass and getting my ass kicked I can't afford to miss any more days.