Scars

POV: Catie

"Ready for more lashings?" I shot up from bed to see Jake holding a whip.

"How did you get out of prison?" I asked in a shaky voice.

"I escaped with the help of friends." Once he said that Kate stepped out from behind him with a smirk and her arms crossed.

"What?" Tears started to well up in my eyes as I watched the two laugh victoriously.

"You think I truly loved you?" Kate said in a laugh. "Please, we just came to finish the job. Andy was step one, step two is you. Boss man wants you dead, so if you would just be quiet and it'll go quickly." The girl who I want to spend the rest of my life with said in a cold tone as she stood beside Jake.

"No, I know you love me. This isn't real. I know it!" I yelled as I stood up from bed. I looked at the half of the bed that Kate always slept on to see Andy's lifeless body...

"He loved you. Not me. Not even your parents love you. Andy died because he was protecting the little sister. So heroic, but so stupid." Kate said in a deathly tone.

"What do you want from me?" I sobbed.

"Someone wants you dead, because you are in the way of his business progressing. You will inherit the family business that your grandfather owns once he and your mom and father die, and it tops the man's business with ease. So if you die, no one will be there to take over, so it will perish, but we don't care about that shit; just the paycheck that comes with the hit. This is the best one yet, don't you agree?" She asked her so called brother.

"Oh definitely tops all. I'm honestly surprised that she didn't catch on when I didn't hit you and only her. Pft, thinking it was because it was the only way to get to you. Nah, I was having fun." Jake let out a sickening laugh.

"Let's go ahead and end this all though. Too much hassle for it to be fun at this point." Kate shrugged as she fiddle with her nails.

I just stood there in shock as Jake raised the gun and pointed it at my head.

"Say goodbye bitch!" Kate laughed before Jake ended me.

"No!" I shot up and looked around my room to see Kate sleeping soundly beside me. At least she was before I violently woke up.

"What's wrong?" She asked me in a worried yet raspy voice.

"Nothing, I'm going for a run." I answered in a snappy tone.

"At three in the morning?" She asked with concern as she sat up.

"I'm a grown ass woman. I don't need your opinion on my actions." I snapped as a single tear began to slip from my eyes.

"Catie, what's wrong?" Kate asked me carefully as she reached for me.

"Nothing, just go back to sleep." I said ad I swiveled my feet to the side of the bed and flinched when my feet met the cold floor.

"Did you have a nightmare?" She asked quietly and in a very submissive tone.

"What do you think?" I snapped before getting up and putting my shoes on. I need to run. I need to get out of here. I know it's not her fault that she turned on me in a damn dream, but the dream wasn't fun.

"Catie," She slowly got up and walked up behind me.

"I'm fine damn it! Just leave me be for now, okay? I'm going." I slammed my door behind me and ran down the steps.

That was before I turned around, ran back up the steps, swung my door open, and ran to Kate and pulling her to my chest.

"I know it's not you. You can go for a run. I'll be here when you get back. It's your PTSD, so just go for a run, and when you get back I'll have some snacks and a movie ready." She said in a hushed tone in attempt to hide the pain behind it.

"I'm sorry I snapped." I cried softly in her shoulder and she rubbed my back soothingly.

"It's okay baby. Just go for a run. I love you, no matter what." She whispered and I nodded before running out the door.

I turned the corners of the house with ease as I got to the front door and locked it behind me after grabbing a set of keys.

I can't believe I snapped at her. What in the hell was I thinking? It was just a stupid dream that she has absolutely no control over, but I still snapped at her. I fucking hate myself right now. I'd kill someone if they ever talked her like that, yet I just went and did it. I'm so damn stupid. How dare I take my stupid PTSD out on her? Who do I think I am?

I snapped on the love of my life. All because out a fucking dream. A nightmare doesn't justify my actions, yet she still cares for me and still stands by me.

My legs carry me to the shoreline as I catch my breath. The sound of the water crashing against itself was the only sound that held in the space.

The beach usually calms me, but right now I'm so mad at myself that I don't know what can.

The only thing I can think of right now is how I can make it up to her.

The fact that she is still doing all of that for me after I snapped at her shows me how much she truly loves me and damn my mind for involuntarily questioning that in a dream.

Yes, it was my biggest fear before I met her; no one loving me, but now my biggest fear is losing her.

——————————————————————

When I got back to the house I took a shower before going back to my room to see Kate fast asleep with the tv on and snacks on the nightstand.

I slowly walk to her side and place a gentle kiss on her forehead before taking my shirt off and getting in bed beside her.

She instinctively curled up into my side with her head on my chest and I kissed the top of her head before turning the tv off which was the only thing lighting the room.

God am I lucky to have her.