Mine

POV: Catie

"Baby Groot is like you." Kate laughed as we watched Guardians of the Galaxy volume 2.

"No! I am like Rocket! A professional Asshole." I smiled and Kate rolled her eyes in response.

"You are cute, you get emotional when someone you love leaves for even a day, mainly me, and you don't understand directions well." She listed all of the similarities and I rolled my eyes.

"But I can kick ass... Baby Groot does not kick ass." I stuck out my bottom lip and she laughed.

"You are Baby Groot like it or not babe." She giggled and kissed my cheek.

After the movie we sat in bed for awhile just because we could, because it's the weekend so why not?

The doorbell rang so I got up and Kate did after me as I hobbled down the stairs.

I looked in the little glass window and only saw an elbow so I couldn't really tell who it was other than I know it was a man.

"Catie, can you get that?" My mom said from the couch and I nodded before continuing my walk to the door.

I tried to look through the window again, but I could see who it was so I cracked the door open to see Kate's father. Great.

"Go home dick face." I growled as I kept the door cracked, just enough for me to close the door if needed.

We can't call the cops because they'll take Kate from me and put her in foster care. This is my Kate. Not their Kate. My Kate.

"I just want to talk." He shrugged with a smile.

"I don't want to talk to you, so leave us the hell alone." I said in a raised voice and he tried to push the door open, but I am stronger than him so I easily kept it closed just enough. "You need to leave before I professionally kick your ass into next week." I started to step outside, but Kate grabbed my shoulder to stop me.

"Ah, there she is!" Her father said in an overly excited tone.

"What do you want father?" Kate sighed.

"I just want to talk." He once again smiled a convincing smile, which wasn't very convincing.

"Too bad I don't want to talk to you." She smiled and then walked away which caused me to laugh.

"Maybe this will change her mind." Her father flashed a pistol from his waistband before grabbing it.

Kate quickly ran to my side and tried to step in front of me, but I wouldn't let her.

"Let me talk to my daughter Catie." He growled.

"Nah, I'm good." I shrugged.

"I will shoot you." He said as he pointed the gun at my head.

"Is her whole family insane? Jesus." I mumbled to myself.

"Last warning."

"Catie, I'll talk to him. You need to stop getting hurt so you can heal you dip-shit." Kate slapped my arm and my mother then picked Kate up and walked up the stairs with her.

"Has your mother always been that pretty?" Kate's father tried to get at me in any way possible.

"Cut the shit, asshat." I said through gritted teeth.

He pulled the hammer back on the revolver and I sighed.

Can I get a break from the crazy man?

I put my hands up in a surrendering manner which caused him to smile and put his guard down, so I quickly grabbed the gun from his hands and the tables quickly turned. "If you do not leave now, I will shoot you. I'm going to get rid of the gun so you cannot say I stole it."

With that he bolted down the street and retreated.

"Is she the only sane one in the family?" I asked myself as I ran my hand through my hair.

I heard Kate arguing with my mother to let her go so she could come back to me, but my mother is where I get my stubbornness from, so if she has made up her mind it is going to stay made up.

My feet carried me up the stairs after I locked the front door.

Kate continued to argue with my mother. She is persistent. I'll give her that.

"He has a gun! Let me talk to him and give him what he wants!" Kate yelled from my room and I opened the door.

"You mean this gun?" I smirked at her as I unloaded it.

She ran to me and hugged me.

"I've got it under control baby. Don't worry." I whispered in her ear and I nodded at my mom and mouthed a 'thank you' as she walked out and returned with a smile as she left.

"I'm sorry you got pulled into all of this." She apologized for this for the one thousandth time.

"I told you before, if it means that I get to be with you in the end I'd do it over and over again. I love you, nothing can change that." My fingers raked up and down her back to calm her as she was shaking. "Don't be scared baby, I've got it."

"What if you get killed next time? What if you don't dodge death like all of the other times? Then what?" Kate pulled back to look me in the eyes as tears streamed down her face.

"I won't die. I'm too badass to die. I am unstoppable." I gave her a playful smirk in attempt to lighten the mood and make her smile, but her crying did not falter.

"That isn't the answer to my question." She whispered.

"If I die, my father will protect you and I'd want you to move on. Your safety and happiness is my priority." I kissed her forehead and she clung to my shirt like her life depended on it.

"I could never move on from you. How could I?"

"I'd still protect you even if I died and I'd find someone for you. I will always be with you even if I die Kate. I'm not going to die though. I'm invincible."

"Even Gods have weaknesses Catie. No one is unstoppable." She looked up at me.

"I have one weakness, and it is you. You are my Achilles heel. I will always protect you." I said as I wiped her tears away with the pad of my thumbs and kissed her lips softly.

"Achilles died Catie."

"Good thing I'm not Achilles."

"You know what I meant." Kate sighed as she ran her hand through her hair.

"I know what you meant, but I'll be damned if someone takes you from me, so I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that doesn't happen, and if that means I die... then I'm okay with that." My lips formed into a sad smile as my eyes begged her for an answer.

"I'm not okay with that." She said just above a whisper as she walked towards the window so she could face away from me.

"I'm not going to die Kate. I promise, and I tend to keep those." The sound of her soft cries and my shuffling feet were the only sounds that the room held. I wrapped my arms around her as she faced the window. "I love you." 

"I love you too. Every time I depend on someone they die. I don't want you to die Catie." Kate whispered as she traced circles on my arms as they held her tightly to my chest.

"I promise you that I will not die. I've been stabbed, whipped, and nearly beaten to death and still lived. I think I'm pretty good at staying alive." She lightly laughed at my response. "There is the laugh I love."

She turned around in my arms and smiled up at me. "Why do you have to be so perfect?"

"Why do you have to he so beautiful inside and out?" I said as I returned the smile.

She is mine and only mine. I'd die protecting her.