[09]

Chapter Nine:
What Will It Take

Chapter Nine:What Will It Take

•••
tw:anorexia
•••

JESSIE SAT ON the couch, eyes fixed on the fire. Her trembling hands fiddled with her wand. She couldn't bring herself to even glance at James, shame choking her.

"Jessie," James sat next to her, "We're all quite worried...Well, you haven't been eating and it shows..."

Jessie scoffed. "Good. It's working then."

"Oh, Jessie..." James shook his head. "It hurts seeing you hurt yourself like this."

Jessie only laughed harshly at his words. James ran a hand through his messy black hair. How was he to help her when she would just laugh at him?

"Is it because of Bellatrix?" He asked.

Jessie let out a sigh, nodding. "She was right. I'm fat. I never would have fit into my dress for the dance if I hadn't lost the weight."

"I would have bought you a new dress." James said softly, tears welling in his eyes. "I would have helped you get in shape if that's what you wanted. But I can't sit here and watch you starve!"

"James, are you—"

"I was serious, Jessie, when I said it hurt me to watch you do this. I'm in agonizing pain watching you run laps on the map. I'm scared you'll push too far a-and I'll lose you. I -I can't..." James shook his head, tears rolling down his cheeks.

James Potter vividly remembered the last time he cried was at his grandmothers funeral at age thirteen. He lived the next three years happily, not a single tear falling. And then he was in love with a girl who was digging her own grave.

The tears fell freely, though unexpectedly. He sniffled hard, unable to stop them. Just as he'd been unable to stop the nightmares of Jessie's funeral. He was back in that place, the place in his head where Jessie's funeral existed.

Jessie pulled him into her arms, snapping him out of that place. "Hey, shhh... Oh, James," she pouted, kissing his head.

James sniffled, raising his head to look at her. "What will it take to get you to believe how beautiful you are?"

Jessie shrugged. "I don't know. I don't feel—"

In his mind, James had leaned up, silencing her with a kiss. But in reality, he just stared at her. He blinked tears from his eyes as he hugged her tightly.

"—beautiful," Jessie sighed.

"How about we work together? We'll keep you in shape, eating healthy foods... We can do this together." James said with his head on her shoulder.

"I'm willing to try," Jessie sighed, lowering her eyes to the fire.

•••