[12]

Chapter Twelve:
How You Feel

Chapter Twelve:How You Feel

•••

JESSIE SIGHED, HURRYING up to the Common Room. She had somehow forgotten her Transfiguration book that morning though she specifically remembered putting it in her bag. She shook her head as she climbed through the portrait hole, coming face to face with James Potter.

She yelped, jumping back into the wall. "James Potter you nearly gave me a heart attack!" She yelled, hitting his arm before storming past him.

"Jessie?" He asked, so softly, so vulnerably, Jessie couldn't help but stop and turn around to look at him. He fidgeted with his wand in his hands.

"Yes?"

"Can we talk?"

"About?" She inquired, crossing her arms over her chest.

"That girl...I dont even know her name, Jessie. I swear on my own grave. I went to get up and meet you by the bathrooms and there she was and the she kissed me and—"

"If you forget to breath you can't finish your story, James." Jessie said softly, leaning against the wall.

James blushed a bit, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Well, I pushed her away but you had already run off..." James said sadly, watching her carefully.

"I don't believe you James Potter." Jessie said, narrowing her eyes.

"You've know me for six years Jessie! You should know if I'm telling the truth or not!" James shouted.

Jessie shook her head. "All I know is that I was hurt. I wanted to tell you how I felt- feel- felt..." she shook her head, "I wanted to tell you how I feel and then I saw you with that girl... It hurt too much."

"H-How you feel?" James stuttered.

"Hold on." Jessie stomped up to her room, grabbing James's sweater before throwing it at him. "What does it smell like?" She crosses her arms.

"I don't- Me. It smells like—"

"Evergreens, fresh rain and fresh cut wood." Jessie whispered.

James blinked at her in confusion. "Okay..?"

"Can you think back to September when Sirius gave me the cup of punch that had been spiked..."

"Evergreens." He mumbled.

Jessie nodded. She was too afraid to move. Too afraid to speak, unsure of the words that would come out of her mouth.

Her arms wrapped around herself. "I haven't been eating," she managed after a moment.

"Because of—"

"It's dumb. I'm such a girl," Jessie grumbled, leaning her forehead against the wall.

"Well, Jess, I mean, I dont know if you've noticed—"

"You know what I mean!" She snapped.

She shook her head, lowering herself onto the couch. James sat next to her. They just... sat. But they were together at least.

At last, James spoke when he knew what to say. "Cinnamon and burning wood."

"Ammortentia?" Jessie asked softly, not looking at him.

"Yes." James whispered in reply, watching the faint smile tug at Jessie's lips.

•••

This was torture, Lily decided, watching James and Jessie work on their homework together. They had made up, but both Lily and Remus thought for sure they would have professed their feelings to each other.

But it hadn't seemed like progress was made there. Lily frowned, looking up at Remus who offered to study with Lily since Jessie and James ditched them both.

"They like each other, right?" Lily inquired.

Remus nodded, frowning as Jessie's nose scrunched up. James had made a horrible joke. "They've made up obviously, but..." Remus shook his head in utter confusion.

But little did he know, his two friends were confused, too. They didn't know what they were to each other really. However, they both enjoyed whatever this was much better than when they had been upset with them.

"They workout in the mornings, they study together, they have Quidditch practice everyday together... And they're talking now. I don't... Maybe they're keeping this private?" Lily suggested.

"Or perhaps you two are too emotionally invested in their relationship and not focused enough on your own boyfriend and girlfriends." Sirius suggested, sitting next to them.

"I broke up with my girlfriend," Remus said. "It wouldn't have worked with..." he glanced at Lily then at Sirius, "my furry little problem."

"Okay, seriously Remus. Get a new rabbit." Lily rolled her eyes, turning back to James and Jessie. The group of three found the two staring back at them.

"Care to join us? Or just ogle from a far?" Jessie mused.

James grinned at Remus, looking quite amused. Jessie turned back to her homework.

Remus shook his head, lowering his head to his papers. "They're plotting something," he whispered.

And sure enough, as Remus came down to the common room that Saturday, ice water poured over his head. The werewolf yelped in surprise.

He spotted James and Jessica laughing near the portrait hole. Remus glared at his friends. "You two are so dead!" he yelled out, moving to run toward them. Jessie and James had already escaped through the portrait hole.

Remus sighed, going to change. At least they're working together. Remus changed, Sirius inquiring what happened. The werewolf rolled his eyes as he explained.

"She's much happier now. If they prank you, let them. It's good for her. Haven't seen much of her smile lately," Sirius said, tightening his tie.

"I guess you're right," Remus decided.

It was a smile that lit up a whole room, bringing life to Jessie's face. It was a quite a happy sight, it was the image that flickered in James mind as he cast his Patrnous Charm.

•••
[Published: 02/05/18]
Vote and comment to show your support and help this story succeed!.