[34]

Chapter Thirty-Four:
Happy Christmas

Chapter Thirty-Four:Happy Christmas

•••

JESSIE WAS STILL in that metal contraption that she completely despised by Christmas. She huffed in annoyance as James helped her awkwardly down the stairs. This contraption was smaller and allowed her to walk, but she was furious that Madame Pomfrey couldn't just wave her wand.

"The brain and neck are too delicate for that, my dear," she had told her.

Even with this reasonable rationing, Jessie was still infuriated. She pushed James off her once she finished climbing down the stairs. He frowned but stepped aside, saying nothing to further upset Jessie. 

She made her way to Andromeda who fussed over her, a four year old Nymphadora  at her feet. Dora went straight to James, hugging his legs tightly. Edward helped carry their trunks out to the car with Remus and Sirius. Peter decided it best to stay with Jessie and James. There was enough awkward tension between Remus and Sirius without him there.

"Oh god. I can hear Mum's voice right now: 'Shouldn't be friends with a filthy werewolf, then!' Oh you'd never leave the house again. Lucky you, I'm not Mum," Andromeda laughed softly, kissing her sisters cheek.

"Come on, let's get home. Dora and I are making dinner tonight!" she grinned, guiding her sister toward the car. "James, you've got Dora?"

"Of course," James said happily, picking up the growing girl.

•••

The Marauders all sat on the couch, the tension around them thick and heavy.  Remus and Sirius sitting on opposite ends of the couch, Peter stuck between them. Jessie and James sat across from the three of them. They all chose to stare at the TV playing Christmas movies that James had never heard of.

At long last, Jessie couldn't take it anymore. "Hey Remus, can you help me with something in the kitchen?"

Remus looked up apprehensively. "Why can't James—"

"Because I said you. And you leave tomorrow," she pleaded. All of the four boys knew there was no saying no to Jessie. She wasn't just James's weakness, she was all of their weaknesses.

Remus sighed, following his best friend into the kitchen.

"Do you like him?" she asked as she gathered a plate of cookies and five mugs. She poured hot chocolate powder into them. She used Andromeda's coffee maker to pour hot water into each mug. She got out a tray for the drinks.

"What?" Remus asked watching her.

"Sirius. Come on! Marlene didn't even kiss like that!" Jessie exclaimed turning around. "You don't just kiss like that, for that long and call someone my friend. I don't run around calling James my friend!"

Remus rolled his eyes, watching Jessie finish up the hot chocolates and place them on a tray. He swallowed thickly, gripping the sides of the table. "I'm not gay, Jessica," he growled.

"Oh no, of course not. Sirius is, but you like girls, too," Jessie said. She bit into her Christmas cookie, looking up at him.

"You're too observant, Jessica Black," he shook his head.

Jessie grinned up at him. "James hates it. Says he can never keep a surprise from me. Especially not the surprise with his grandmothers wedding ring."

"What?"

"His mum wore it everyday on a necklace and one day she didn't." Jessie smiled a little. "He's going to propose isn't he?"

Remus slowly nodded, the smallest of smiles creeping onto his lips. He watched Jessie finish her cookie. He shook his head at her, wondering how she didn't get into Ravenclaw. Then he recalled her countless acts of bravery, facing Regulus so many times, her parents...Jessica Verity Black was the bravest women he knew.

"Yeah, but I'm not telling you when," Remus grinned.

"Fine. But only if I get Sirius in here and you tell him how you feel," Jessie said sternly.

Remus scratched the back of his neck, stepping forward. He gently grabbed Jessie's arms, making sure she looked him in the eye. "I will someday, but not yet. I'm not comfortable with that, Jess. I'm not as brave and bold as you are."

Jessie wrapped her arms around Remus. "Just promise me you'll tell him someday."

Remus sighed, hugging her tightly. "I promise. Cross my heart."

The two parted a returned the the living room. Jessie snuggled up the best she could with her metal contraption. James laid his head in her lap, practically purring when Jessie messed with his hair.

Sirius had taken to the floor, and passed out before anyone else, Peter and Remus soon following. The two were spread out on the couch, Peter covered in cookie crumbs.

Jessie watched her friends happily, playing with her beloved's hair. James sat up when the movie ended. "Jessie. Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, of course," she said softly.

"If you had been pregnant with Regulus's baby, would have kept it. If it had lived..." James asked softly, his glasses crooked on his nose.

"I wouldn't have killed the baby, if that's what your asking. I don't know what I would have done. I'd probably be married to my cousin if there was a baby..." she frowned a bit. "Why do you ask?"

James shook his head. "I—I'm not sure. I was just thinking..."

"Yeah?"

"About us. And the future," James kissed her forehead.

Jessie smiled a little. "It's funny. A year ago at this time my fate was sealed. I was going to marry my younger cousin who I despise and was forever apart of the cruelest family ever known. And then I had you... I've always had you in a way, but last year I really had you. You were more than just my friend. And you changed everything, James, everything. You saved me. Call it cliché, but seriously James Potter, you saved me. And I love you."

"And I you, darling."

•••

It was Christmas morning. Remus and Peter had since gone home, but Sirius and James were still here. Mr. and Mrs. Potter had arrived last night to "spend Christmas with their sons." Jessie had since gotten out of her brace and was so relieved to move freely again.

In fact, she was curled up in her bed with James. Of course, Andromeda used magic to keep the door open so there would be no funny business. For a while, she watched her boyfriend sleep soundly on the bed, light trickling in the window across the room.

Jessie brushed her hair out of her eyes to get a better look at his handsome face. She leaned over and kissed his forehead. She spoke softly, words he wouldn't hear until their wedding day:

"James Fleamont Potter, you captured my heart from the moment we met. And I cannot imagine spending my life with anyone that isn't you," she said softly, curling up in his arms. "In the end, it will always be you. And I cannot wait to spend forever with you and someday met Harry James Potter. I'm sure he'll look just like you, and have a knack for mischief, too. I love you forever, darling."

•••
Published (04/27/18)
Vote and comment to show your support and help this story succeed!

[UNEDITED]