[21]

Chapter Twenty-One:
Swim

Chapter Twenty-One:Swim

•••

JESSICA BLACK HAD been invited to stay at her boyfriends home for a week in July. Andromeda dropped her off outside the Potter's house—or Jessie thought she was getting dropped off.

Andromeda turned off her car and made her way up to the house with Jessie. "Andi?"

"No kids until after Hogwarts, do you understand me?" Andi asked her little sister.

Jessie sputtered, blushing red. "Yes, mother."

Jessie turned and knocked on the door. Mrs. Potter threw open the door, smiling at his son's girlfriend. "I'll take your bag, James and Sirius are out by the pool."

Jessie handed Mr. Potter her rucksack which she packed to the brim. Her hair was tried back, since the July heat was so overwhelming. She tugged on her clothes self consciously. She stopped at a mirror in the hallway, glancing down at her fading scars. She tugged at her shirt in discomfort.

"I just want to make sure that they won't be...alone... if you know what I mean..." Andromeda said down the hall behind her.

"Oh, oh no!" Mr. Potter laughed. "We've already talked to James about this. If it makes you feel better, Sirius promised never to leave them alone."

Jessie tightened her pony tail making her way down the hall, watching as the Potter's black cat streaked past her. She saw James and Sirius splashing around in the pool through the glass door.

"You can go out and join them, you know?" Mrs. Potter said from the kitchen next to the door.

Jessie jumped, blushing a bit.

"James said you could be a little..."

"Self conscious." She nodded in agreement.

"Well you look beautiful and James has plenty of songs written about just how beautiful you are," she grinned. "Why don't you bring out some lemonade, okay?"

She handed Jessie a jug and some cups. She smiled, nodding. "If you can get your hands on those songs for me..."

"It'd be my pleasure. Now go on, he's dying to see you."

Jessie nodded, stepping outside. She turned around to shut the door hearing the splashing stop. She spun around to see the boys had stopped splashing around. James licked the pool water dripping on his top lip.

"Hey there, angel," he grinned like a love sick puppy.

"Your mom said to bring out some lemonade..." She said softly, setting the jug on the table by the pool.

"I like your hair up, Jess. Suits you," Sirius said, hoping up on a raft.

"Oh, I—Thanks."

James climbed out of the water, grabbing a cup of lemonade. He poured the cup handing it to Jessie.

But Jessie was focused on him. James wasn't ridiculously strong, but Quidditch did wonders for the boy. Every inch of him was toned. Jessie felt the heat rising to her face.

"Like what you see?" He teased.

"No," she said softly, taking the cup.

"Whatever you say," James grinned, leaning over to kiss her.

He tasted like chlorine. The smell masked his normal evergreen smell which disappointed her greatly.

"Why don't you go get your swim suit on?" James asked pouring himself a cup.

Jessie nodded, setting her cup aside. Finding her bag in Sirius's room, she grabbed the bikini from it, changing quickly. She wrapped her arms around herself as she headed outside.

"Come on Jess!" Sirius called out.

Jessie felt like she might be sick. Her heart raced in her chest and the sun was too bright. She moved towards the ladder, swallowing nervously.

"I'm not really feeling well..." she started, backing up.

James was out of the water instantly. "Is everything okay, Jess?" He frowned, grabbing her arms gently.

Jessie nodded. "I can't swim."

"Can't—"

Jessie nodded. "It was okay in the Black Lake because it really wasn't deep. I mean I stayed in the shallows. And when we were drunk and crashed...if you hadn't grabbed me, I might've drowned."

"Do you trust me?"

Jessie nodded as James helped her into the shallow end. He made her climb on his back and he made his way into the deeper water, standing on his toes to keep his head above the surface.

"It's not that bad, is it?"

Jessie shook her head. "Not with you, it's not. But I still prefer the shallow end."

James laughed softly, carrying her into the shallow water where she could stand easily. She lounged around in the water with James playing with her hair, hugging her, kissing her until his mom stepped outside to announce dinner was ready.

"What's the real reason you didn't want to come swimming?" Sirius asked next to Jessica.

Jessie lowered her eyes as James hurried to grab them some towels. She could hear his parents complaints as he sprinted through the house soaking wet.

"I've gained some weight since end of term...I'm fine with it but I was worried James wouldn't like it..." she frowned.

"Oh please, he was all over you, Jess." Sirius grinned at his cousin, wrapping an arm around her. "And don't you ever think you aren't beautiful. Okay?"

Jessie nodded as Sirius gave her a small squeeze. "Thank you."

•••
[Published: 02/14/18]
Vote or comment to show your support and help this story succeed.