[39]

Chapter Thirty-Nine:
New Year, New Tragedies

Chapter Thirty-Nine: New Year, New Tragedies

•••

JESSICA POTTER SAT on the couch with a glass of sparking grape juice waiting for the ball to drop in three hours and to ease the nausea in her stomach. Her and James, try as they might, couldn't get pregnant. But, they took every precaution in ensuring the potential baby wouldn't be harmed.

"Hey, Jess," Peter greeted her, hugging her.

"Hey!" she said softly, sitting back on the couch. She'd felt sick all day but the tests had come back negative. James threw his sweater on her and parked her on the couch with her a blanket and a good book.

Jessie insisted on watching a muggle Christmas movie on their TV and bought one for her to watch while they waited for their friends to show up for dinner and their party.

Remus and Sirius showed up together after Peter. They both fussed over their precious Jessie. "Poor baby," Sirius said cupping her face. "She feels pretty warm. Does she have a fever?" he asked looking over at James who only shrugged.

"I don't know how to use the muggle thingy," he pointed to the counter. At the store he was in the medicine aisle when the worker asked if they could help him.

"Oh! The thermometer? Here, let me!" Remus said reaching over.

Sirius watched his boyfriend happily. He smiled happily, glancing at his arse as he passed.

Remus day next to Jessie, sticking the thermometer in her mouth, under her tongue. Jessie waited patiently, James passing anxiously.

"Oh relax you mother hen," Sirius scolded his friend, grabbing a left over Christmas cookie.

Jessie laughed around her thermometer. She opened her arms for her husband who gladly came over and snuggled in her arms. She held him close while Remus watched his watch. After a few minutes he pulled it out and held it up.

"She's got a small fever. Poor thing," he said softly. Seeing James' look of panic, he added, "But with some rest she'll be just fine."

She'll be just fine.

•••

By June, Jessie was still having trouble getting pregnant, but further tragedy had struck. James' parents had fallen ill with dragon pox.

The day they found out, James laid in Jessie's arms sobbing all night long. She rubbed his back and let him cry. The next day Sirius and James went to visit them. They decided to keep Jessie home with Remus so she didn't fall sick—in case of pregnancy of course.

Remus sat on the couch across from Jessie. Normally, they'd be doing homework when they hung out alone, but now that they'd finished school they had nothing to do.

"You aren't pregnant are you?" Remus asked softly.

Jessie shook her head. "The doctor said I might not get pregnant ever," she shrugged. "I just feel so horrible for James. He's so excited. I just can't tell him," she shook her head.

"I'm sorry Jess," he frowned deeply and hugged her. "But you have to tell him eventually, you know."

"Yeah, but with his parents..." she shrugged a little. "He can only handle so much. He's never dealt with anything like this. I'm afraid too much bad news could break him."

Remus nodded, holding her close.

•••

By August, James' father had died, his mother nearing her end. Jessie held his hand tightly while he spoke at the funeral. He made Jessie finish the speech for him, crying into her neck. She rubbed his back.

She watched Remus doing the same for his boyfriend who thought of Mr. Potter as a true father.

When they got home that night, Jessie sat James down at the kitchen table. She made tea for them both, watching him stare down at his hands. She laid down the tray of cookies that Lily sent them upon hearing the news of Mr. Potter.

Jessie sat down next to him. "Talk to me, babe."

James took the tea into his hands, holding it as if it was the only warmth he had. "I feel empty. A-and mum's barely hanging on. I feel like it's all falling apart, Jess. They've always been there and now dad's dead and mum's on her way. I promised them that they'd get to have grandkids and we can't even do that for them."

He sounded so angry, as though this was all his fault. Jessie felt her heart ache. She knew she couldn't convince him otherwise so instead she comforted him until he was asleep and tucked away anything he could use to harm himself. She sighed at her own scars, not wanting her husband to bear similar marks.

She held him in her arms until four in the morning when she passed out. She woke up the next morning, being lightly shaken awake. The smell of bacon and pancake batter overwhelmed her. She rubbed at her eyes, seeing James with his messy hair, holding a tray of food.

"Oh! Do I smell coffee?" she asked sitting up fast.

He nodded to the nightstand. "Just how you like it." He set the tray in her lap.

He sat down on his side of the bed, eating from his own tray. "I...I couldn't sleep. So I did something productive. I hope it tastes okay."

Jessie kissed his cheek. "I'm sure it tastes delicious, baby."

She dug in.

•••

By September, Jessie was holding Sirius as he cried over the death of his brother. Jessie cried too; he was good in the end.

Soon it was November. James' mom recovered from the pox, but her old age rendered her weak. She had be wheeled around but James cling to her, spending and impossible amount of time with her.

And finally, with all their friends and family gathered in the room, they were able to share happy news.

"I'm pregnant," Jessie said softly.

Andromeda was the first to react, crying out with joy. She hugged her sister tightly, crying into her shoulder. The two girls cried.

•••

Jessie watched Peter Pettigrew entering Malfoy Manner. A chill rushed down her spine as she saw Lord Voldemort sitting at the head of the table with his around him like a scarf.

"She's pregnant, my Lord," he said in a quivering voice. "The Potter's no longer are using Sirius as their secret keeper, but rather me. They thought it was too obvious if it was the Black boy. But it might have been safer."

Everyone around the table chuckled. Voldemort showed a bone chilling smirk.

"Well done Peter. Thank you for your services," he said smoothly. "I don't want Jessica Back harmed. I want the baby but I fear I might have to go through her. Let them enjoy themselves. Let them think themselves safe," he chuckled darkly.

"Then, Ill end the child."

Jessie work with a gasp, drenched in sweat. Peter worked for Voldemort. She had to tell James...no he'd kill his own friend. She wouldn't let him. She would play along.

But she'd win the game.

•••
[Published: 06/27/18]
Vote and comment to show your support and help this story succeed!