[35]

Chapter Thirty-Five:
Golden Days

Chapter Thirty-Five:Golden Days

•••

JESSIE WAS FULL of joy. Her heart was full of love from all her friends. For Christmas, James had gotten her a diamond encrusted bracelet that she swore on her life she would protect. On New Year's eve, Remus grabbed Sirius by the front of his shirt and kissed him feverishly. Peter had become distant. He no longer followed James with the same excitement but followed from a distance.

The young Jessica Black had also cut her hair short. She spent more and more time alone with James. The two were often seen dancing on the docks of the Black Lake to whatever song Jessie sang. Even Regulus only glared at Jessie from a distance.

Everything was perfect. James and Jessie were the most darling couple the world had ever seen, and helplessly in love with each other. They could still be caught staring at one another, and always flirting. Their love was soft and pure, like a cloud. They loved without the need to make love. James thought this would frustrate him, but he felt their relationship was more beautiful for it. And they never grew sick of each other.

James was in heaven as he strummed his guitar by the fire. Jessie sat on the other end of the couch, watching him thoughtfully. He distantly heard her softly singing, but his mind was elsewhere. Fourteen year old James Potter got joy out of tormenting people like Severus, causing mayhem and mischief and chasing Lily Evans who he wanted so badly. He glanced over at Jessie.

He smiled. All of those things could not compare to the joy he felt when he looked at his Jessie. And nothing could compare to the joy of knowing that a certain ring was tucked into his trunk and was meant to be slid onto her ring quite soon. 

"Jess?" he asked softly, his strumming halting.

"Yes, James?" Jessie asked.

"There's still a war going on outside these castle walls, not matter how often we pretend there isn't," he managed.

"I know. Last week Lily's boyfriend's family went missing. They haven't been found yet, but they're probably dead," she frowned. She played with the ends of her hair anxiously. "W-What if he's never stopped? What if he just keeps killing and killing and—"

"We won't let him. After we graduate, we'll be of age and we can go to Dumbledore and demand to be in the order. I want to make a world that is safe for Harry," James cupped her cheek.

"Or Harriet. We never talked about a future where I had a girl," she said softly, laughing a little.

James set his guitar aside. "I will keep you safe Jessica Black."

"I feel safe with you," she smiled up at him. This was true. Even with her new found prophetic powers that Voldemort would surely learn of, she was even more at risk that before. Even with the chance of her child being the one to stop Lord Voldemort. She doubted James could do much to make the world safer if it was up to her future child to save them all, but her and now in his hands she was safe.

James leaned down to kiss her sweetly.  "I love you," he said softly.

"I love you too, James."

•••

They'd finally finished their final exam, free to go down to the Black Lake. Jessie skipped along, the sight easing James' anxiously beating heart. The ring was like a boulder in his pocket as Jessie stopped at the edge of the lake.

"Everything okay?" James asked softly.

Jessie nodded. "It's just going to be very weird to not be at Hogwarts...to not be coming back..." She frowned a little.

"To new adventures, then," James said squeezing her hand.

Jessie nodded. "I'd go on any adventure with you, James Potter."

"Good," James stepped back so he could look at all of her. The wind tugged her hair back, James thought she looked like a goddess. "I never thought Jessica Black would be my girlfriend. We all knew your parents had plans for you and I had plans for Lily and I."

"Things took a turn for the better, don't you think?" she asked softly.

James nodded. "That's why I'd like for you to be Mrs. Potter," he said tugging the ring from his pocket and kneeling down.

"I've always been Mrs. Potter. But why don't we make it legal," she winked down at him, slipping the ring onto her finger.

James grinned, jumping up to kiss his fiancée. His fiancée. It felt so damn good to be able to say that. When he pulled back, she was crying softly.

"What? Did I do something...?"

Jessie shook her head, wiping under her eyes. "I just—I was thinking—Who's walking me down the aisle?"

"I will," said a voice behind them. Jessie looked over her shoulder at Remus Lupin with a camera in his hand. He had only a second to prepare before Jessie flung herself into his arms, crying softly. Remus held his best friend tightly. "I'd be honored to."

•••
Published: 04/29/18
Vote and comment to show your support for this story and help it succeed.

[UNEDITED]
The book is kind of winding down. This section won't have much more to it and Part Three won't be very long! Thank you all for you support :)