Chapter 6 - Rule Breaker

The next day, I woke up nice and early and saw Alby and Minho prepping to leave. I walked over, "Where you both going?" "We're gonna follow Ben's last steps." Minho told me. I sighed, "You and Newt are in charge, okay (Y/n)?" I nodded.

 Newt joined us and the doors started to open,we went over and saw them off. we went to work, chopping half of a tree out of the ground. "But, why would Alby go into the maze? He's not a runner." 

"Things are different now. Alby went to retrace Ben's footsteps before sundown. Look, are you gonna help?" I asked.

 "Okay, so he's gonna go back to where Ben was juststung?" "Alby knows what he's doing." "Alright? He knows better than all ofus." Newt finished. "What does that mean?" I sighed, "It's like you've heard,yeah. Every month, the box sends up a new arrival. But someone had to be first,right?"

 "Someone had to spend a whole month alone in the Glade. And that was Alby." "I mean it couldn't of been easy, but then (Y/n) arrived next and then the boys coming up, one after the other- he saw the truth. And he learnt that the most important thing is that we all have each other." Newt told him.

 "Cause we're all in this together." I told him, going back to work. I sighed, and looked at Thomas, "I was the second person to arrive, Alby did amazing by himself. When everyone else started to show up, I knew he was a born leader,but having a whole month alone with him, shows that he respects you and you respect him. It's why we talk a lot with one another. We both came up the earliest, so we're good friends." 

Thomas looked at me surprised to know that I arrived second and that Alby respects me. Thomas soon joined in cutting the tree and it soon started to rain heavily. We stayed undercover, "They should be back by now." I placed myself on a large stick, "What happens if they don't make it?" "They're gonna make it." "what happens if they don't?"

 I looked at Thomas, "They're gonna make it." That afternoon, we went to the doors and it had stopped raining. We all waited for them, the gears in the door creaked,"Come on guys. Can't we send someone after them?"

 "It's against the rules. Either they make it back, or they don't." I looked at Thomas, "Can't risk loosing anyone else." The wind came and we covered our eyes. The doors started to close and Thomas pointed to the corner. 

"There!" around the corner was Alby and Minho.

 "Wait, no something's wrong." "Come on, Minho, you can do it!" Chuck yelled. We all encouraged Minho as he carried Alby. The doors started to move quicker, "They're not gonna make it." The doors, just about to close.

 Thomas ran, my arms went straight for him, "THOMAS!" the doors closed and I sobbed into Newt's arms. Newt held me tightly, "It's okay, (Y/n)." "They're my friends..." 

"They'll make it, they'll survive the night." "I know they are, they're my friends as well." I looked down, he lifted my chin, using his thumbs to wipe my tears. We laid down, and the next morning, Chuck woke us up. They weren't there. 

We turned to walk away, but Zart had told us that they were there. I turned around and saw Minho, Thomas and an unconscious Alby. I looked at Newt. I ran to Minho and Alby. I grabbed Alby and we took him into the glade. Minho and Thomas fell to the floor. I looked at Minho, I passed Alby to the Med-Jacks and I hugged Minho.

 "You're such a shuck-face." I told him, he chuckled. They had apparently killed a griever.

 We went to the council hall,where I stood with Newt. "Things are changing. There's no denying that. First,Ben gets stung in broad daylight. Then Alby. And now our Greenie here, hastaken it upon himself to go into the maze. Which is a clear, violation of our rules here."

 "Yeah. But he did save Alby's life."

 "Did he?" Gally looked at me and I raised my head. 

"For three years, we have co-existed with these things. And now, you've killed one of them. Who knows what that could mean for us."

 I stood up, "What do you suggest we do?" I asked

 "He has to be punished." 

Everyone started talking and Gally faced me, "(Y/n), you've been here the second longest, following the rules that Alby set out."

 I stayed quiet as everyone quieted down to hear the conversation. "Leave her out of this, Gally."Newt told him, I looked at Newt.

 I shook my head, I looked at Thomas, "I'veonly ever followed the rules, because I respected Alby. Now, Thomas..." he looked back at me and I took a breath. 

"Thank you, for saving my friend's life. But it does not change the fact that you did indeed disrespect the rules. Not even my friendship with you will stop the punishment. Now, I ask Minho. You were therewith him, what do you say?" I told him, asking Minho for his opinion.

 "I think, that all the time we've been here, no one has ever killed a griever before. When I turned tail and ran- this dumb shank stayed behind to save Alby. Look, I don't know if he's brave or stupid. But, whatever it is... we need more of it. I say we make him a runner."

 Another uproar. "Shut it!" I yelled. "If you wanna throw the newbie a parade. That's fine. Go ahead. But if there is one thing, I know about the maze- it is that you do not..."

The place creaked and we soon heard the newbie alarm.