Chapter 12

I got up on tiptoes and pressed my lips to his with a smile. As I pulled away, his eyes met mine. His nostrils were flared and there was a slight flush to his cheeks.

"Luke..." I said, flashing him a loving smile, "You led a rebellion which wrote itself into all kinds of religions and mythologies...you faced the Creator with what you believed in... you've lived through wars, famine and death...but you're sweating in the face of meeting my roommate..."

"This is scarier..." he said.

"You'll be absolutely fine," I said. I flashed him a smile and he smiled back at me. "Ready?"

He nodded, but it was only half-convincing. I pushed open the apartment building and opted for the stairs instead of the elevator. I took his hand in mine before opening the door. Matt sprang off the couch, clearly as nervous as Luke, but looking more like a difficult father than a sheepish friend. He walked up to us and held out his hand. Luke took it and gave it a firm shake.

"Pleasure," Matt said, "Matthew."

"Pleasure's all mine," he replied, "Lucién. But everyone calls me Luke."

"I hope you like take-away food."

"I eat nearly everything," Luke said.

"A man after my own tastes," Matt replied, at which Luke relaxed. "I was thinking we could order either Indian food or pizza. Or maybe Chinese. I'm up for any or all of those."

"To tell you the truth," Luke said, "I could eat."

"Perfect," Matt replied, flashing him a grin. He proceeded to pick up the phone and started dialling the different numbers.

"So, let me show you around while Matt handles dinner."

"Alright," he replied, smiling down at me. I gave him a brief tour of the kitchen and showed him where the bathroom was in case his nerves sent him running to the toilet, and then I led him to my bedroom. I opened the door with shaking hands. Nobody had been in my room since then. But as I opened the door, all of the dark energy stored within those four walls came storming out like a murder of ravens. I let out a staggering breath.

"Your scent is so overpowering," he said, smiling down at me, "It's so beautiful."

"Thanks," I replied. I led him in and we stood in the middle of my room, saying nothing.

"So, open door policy?" he asked.

"It's not like that," I replied, shaking my head at him, "It's just nobody's been in this room with me for quite some time." I could feel my voice beginning to shake as the fresh memory of Jason's hand around my throat filtered through my brain.

"Are you alright Kate?"

"Yes," I replied, "It's nothing." I instinctively pulled at my scarf.

"Take that off if you're feeling hot; we're inside."

"No." I hadn't meant to snap. I bit my lip. "Sorry."

"What's going on with you?" he asked, his eyes filled with concern. He closed the distance between us and took my hands in his. It was at this point that I burst into tears; a noise which prompted Matt to come running to my supposed aid.

"What happened?" Matt asked. I shook my head, unable to overcome my sobs. Luke turned his face to look at Matt.

"I don't know," he supplied on my behalf, "She started panicking and then she burst into tears."

"I know what's happening," Matt said, "Let's just get out of the room and give her a minute."

Luke nodded, releasing my hands and following Matt outside. Matt proceeded to close the door, smiling at me before he left. It was embarrassing. I had ruined the beginning of what was meant to be a beautiful evening. I sat on my desk chair and hugged myself, pulling off my scarf and staring at the pronounced hand marks which still marked my neck.