Chapter 30

"How did it go?" he asked the moment he picked up.

"Is that really the first thing you wanted to say?" I asked, smiling through the phone, "It went very well."

"Great," he replied, "And yes, I am very happy you've accepted to move in with me."

I could hear the joy through his soft, silken voice. We were both silent, but his breaths over the line were soothing to my ears.

"You're working today, right?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Okay...I have to go see Matt at around six or seven, because of the car. And then, do you want to go out to dinner to celebrate our big step forward?"

"I would love to," I said, "You'd have to give me time to get ready. I'm wearing sweats and I only have my uniform to change into."

"I'll wait as long as I have to. Love you."

"Me too. Bye."

I hung up and entered the bar. Zoe was already hard at work taking orders and Sam was helping the new kid to mix a few drinks. Mo was sitting at his established seat at the bar and he waved at me when I approached him.

"How was the test?" he asked.

"It went well."

"Good." He returned to his coding and I went to the back to change into my uniform.

"Can you go on break?" I asked Sam. After six hours of non-stop orders, the bar had finally become quieter. Terry's shift in marketing stance towards promoting the bar as a place to bring your family out to eat had worked, and we were suddenly busier than ever before.

"Sure. Johnny can handle the bar. Right, Johnny?"

Johnny nodded and carried on mixing drinks. Sam took off her apron and followed me out to the floor. We ordered a sandwich and some soda and waited for our food at one of the tables.

"I have something to tell you," I said, "But I haven't told Matt yet. He'll kill me if he finds out I told you first."

"Oh, goody goody!" she said, rubbing her hands together, "Matty won't mind."

"Luke has asked me to move in with him after summer break. And I've said yes."

Her eyes widened and she started to clap.

"Oh my God, Kate! This is huge!"

"I know," I replied, laughing.

"Wow. How do you feel?"

"Great," I replied, "I mean...I can see it all, you know. He makes me happy."

"I'm so happy for you," she said. She stood up from her place in the booth and I copied her. We leaned over the table and hugged.

"And I'm happy for you too - you and Matt are really super cute together, Sam."

"I know...he's such a sweetheart." She smiled, but it faltered. "Listen...can I talk to you about something?"

"Of course, Sam... anything."

"But you can't tell Matt."

"I won't."

"It's just...he's so super genius kind of rocket science smart...and I'm...I stopped reading after my high school graduation."

"Sam!" I said, covering her hand, "Don't be ridiculous! Matt loves you exactly as you are, and you're smart enough...trust me."

She smiled softly at me. "You think so?"

"Of course!" She tucked her hair behind her ear and smiled.

"Food's coming," she said, "Much to celebrate."

Sam and I said goodbye at six. I was supposed to finish at seven. She said goodbye and left to get ready at her apartment so she could come over and hang out with Matt. I cleared up the last few tables I had to take care of and made sure Zoe was doing fine. And then the rush came. Group after group, people started coming into the bar. Order after order, we handled them.

"Hello, Catherine!"

I turned around. "Not now, Bee. I'm super busy, as you can see."

"I'm a paying customer!" he said.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Martini," he replied.

"You can order at the bar." I dashed off and took another order.

"Catherine!"

"Stop sneaking up behind me; I'm working, Bee!" I said, glaring at him, "You're slowing me down!"

"Apologies," he said, bowing before me with a twinkle in his eye. He hopped off to the bar to order another drink.

"Hey, Kate?"

"Yeah, Terry?"

"You should go home. Suzanne is here. She'll take over for you."

"It's really fine."

"No, no. You had your test today. Go."

"Well, if you're sure."

"I am," he said, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Thanks, Terry." I smiled at him and finished taking my order before punching out and taking off my apron. I walked out into the crisp air; it hugged my skin and caressed my cheeks. It was light and smelled like trees and freshly cut grass. I was almost home when my phone started to ring.

"Hey Sam," I said.

"Kate!" My heart stopped when I heard her panicked voice, filled with evident tears.

"What's going on?"

She mumbled five hundred thousand words in between sobs, but all I could get was Matty and phone.

"Can you please repeat?" I asked, suddenly panicking.

"Kate!" she said, pausing for a sob, "Matty's not home yet and I tried calling him, but he wasn't answering, and then it went to voicemail! He was supposed to be home at eight. Do you know where he is?"

"Maybe his battery died. Relax. I'm almost home. I'll pass by the garage and let you know, okay? I'll be there in two minutes."

"Okay, Kate. Let me know. I've never been there - I don't even know where it is."

"It's just a few blocks down from the apartment, first right and then first left. You'll see it. Large white and red sign. Only one in the street. But stay there. I'll check it out."

"Okay. Call me."

"I will."

I hung up and walked down the street until I reached the familiar junction which would take me to his garage. Sam's panic had affected me, but I knew he'd probably just got carried away. I took the first left and walked to the garage. No light came out of the door, which probably meant it was closed. I frowned in confusion. Maybe he was on his way home? I closed the distance between me and the garage, and although the door was closed, I could see a shaft of light coming out of the dirty windows at the top. Just as I was about to push the garage door open, I heard a grunt and a moan.

What was going on? Fear filled my gut, but my instinct told me to fight, not fly. Adrenalin kicked in. I had to do this for Matty. I opened the door. And my heart stopped.

Matty lay on the floor, bleeding and almost unconscious. He was moaning in pain, his curls matted with blood, his face a mess and his left eye swollen.

And holding a metal rod was none other than the last person I would have expected - Luke.