Chapter 47

"Would you like me to lead you to Michael's residence? Or would you prefer directions?"

"Directions," I said, craving the alone time to talk myself up to the task. He explained where I had to go and it was quite straightforward. All the cottages stood next to each other, in two opposite rows lining the cobblestone path leading away from the gates of the Creator's estate. I simply had to count to the number fifteen. It wasn't such a long way away.

Each cottage was made of grey and brown stone with a pebbled roof in the same dark shades. Each roof held a stone chimney. At the front of each cottage was a thick brown wooden door and small windows framed in the same dark wood. Similar windows lined the other walls of the cottages. They seemed too small to house within them more than three rooms. I got to number fifteen on the right, turned and took in a deep breath before knocking on the door.

The man who answered was familiar, but it was not Michael. I remembered him from the trial; Raphael. So he must be my uncle. Raphael was as tall as his brother, with similarly dark hair and similarly bright eyes. His skin was slightly darker, almost as if he had gone surfing. The two looked alike in many ways, but there was something different in Raphael's gaze; somehow it seemed warmer.

"Catherine..." he said, smiling at me, "How pleasant to finally meet you! The last time I encountered you...let's just say, the circumstances weren't entirely pleasant." He scratched the back of his head. He seemed shy and uncertain, quite different from his brother.

"Hello Raphael," I said.

"Are you looking for Michael?" he asked, "He should be home any minute. He's out training."

"Okay. Do you know where I can find him?"

"You can wait for him here. He'll be home soon. Please, come in."

I reluctantly entered the cottage, not entirely comfortable with trapping myself inside an unfamiliar place with an unfamiliar man, but knew deep down that Raphael was a good one. The cottage seemed slightly bigger on the inside, but it was no palace. Upon entry was a wooden dining table taking six chairs, with a wooden cabinet on the side. On top of it was a silver tray with a white doily, six crystal glasses and a decanter. At the wall opposite the door was a glass and wood cabinet which held within it different swords and weapons on display. A small doorway was carved into the stone, and a white lace curtain hung from it. It was drawn to the side and tied in place with a white ribbon, so that we could easily pass through. What followed was the tiniest kitchen I had ever seen; yellow wood, with a small glass cupboard holding within it a few glasses and plates. An old-fashioned oven and fridge stood at the wall, beneath an arch carved into the stone. In the middle of the room was a small yellow table taking two chairs. To the right of the kitchen was a small bathroom with an open door and right next door to it was an open door leading to a small yard in which four pairs of identical slacks hung. Moving forward was what seemed to be a bedroom and beside me was a small stone staircase leading to the attic.

I sat at the kitchen table and Raphael offered me some water. He gave me a small glass and I took a sip before setting it down in front of me.

"I didn't expect you to have a fridge...or plumbing," I said.

"We have moved with the times," he replied, smiling, "We don't have electronics like televisions or phones, because they would divert our attentions from our self-development and our tasks. But we have other technologies. We have angels who are good at building these items."

"Oh..."

He smiled at me.

"I'm sorry about what you had to go through," he said, "I know what it feels like to be betrayed by somebody you love."