Chapter 25

The following morning, I was positively surprised when a bouncing head of dark brown curls entered the bar. Mo smiled at me, his Beats covering his ears, and clad in ripped drainpipes, a skin-tight white T-shirt, a blue denim jacket and a red scarf. He wore his Doc Martens with pride as he walked over to the bar and put down his backpack.

"Hi," he said, pushing down his headphones.

"No Starbucks today?"

"The guys all said how great your stuff is; thought I'd give it a try."

"Well, I recommend the dark chocolate hot cocoa with marshmallows."

"That sounds absolutely divine," he said.

"Great. Do you want a muffin?" I asked.

"Hmm...you know I can never say no to food, Kate."

"No," I replied, "You can't." Mo flashed me a smile.

"Is it okay if I work from the bar?" he asked.

"Sure," I replied. He pulled out his MacBook and flipped it open.

"What is it that you do exactly?" I asked, as I prepared his hot chocolate.

"I code," he replied, "Build websites and programs for people. I'm developing a video game right now."

"That's cool," I said.

"Hey, listen, I'm sorry I keep my headphones on most of the time; it's not that I don't want to talk to you or something, but I've got this issue where I hear all the stuff that's happening in whispers and music helps to drown it out."

"That must be awful," I said, "Of course I won't be offended."

I put the hot chocolate and the muffin down in front of him and went out to the floor to check on Zoe, who was doing incredibly well. She waved at me from the table she was serving and nodded, as if to assure me that everything was fine.

I walked up to a new table to take their order and went to the back to hand it to the chef. In the meantime, I returned to the bar as Sam had the day off and the new kid had called in sick.

"Two Long Island Iced Teas, a gin and tonic and a tequila sunrise," Zoe said, stopping at the bar with the order in her hand, "Going to hand this to the chef," she said, lifting it up and disappearing into the kitchen. She came back out and returned to the floor with fresh cutlery for the table.

After a few minutes of silently polishing glassware, I was interrupted by Mo's whisper.

"Who is that girl?" he asked, his golden eyes wide and his dark cheeks slightly red.

"Who? Zoe?" I asked.

He turned his head to look at her.

"She's so beautiful," he said.

"Do you want me to introduce you?"

"That would be so embarrassing...but...do you know if she's got Facebook? I would love to get to know her."

"Just talk to her..." I said, "Mo! You're super old. You should be more confident."

"I've never had a girlfriend."

"Start now," I replied, smirking. He looked at me with uncertainty.

"I need some more fuel if I'm to function properly," he said, crossing his arms. I rolled my eyes playfully at him before handing him another muffin, which he wolfed down in less than a minute. He wiped the crumbs off his mouth and stood up, but was swiftly met by none other than Zoe herself, who had come up to the bar for the drinks I had prepared. He sat down and stood up again, his cheeks significantly darker than usual.