Chapter 24 - "Surprise, surprise."

KATHARINA'S POV

          "Leave us alone." I say to the maids who helped me get Nicole on the bed. I still can't believe that Jackson dared to do such things to her. She's so innocent looking right now, and I can't shake the feeling to protect her with my own life.

Hah! Says the person who needs medication just to get by. That's funny. I sigh before I take a seat in an arm chair that faces the bed. I watch her sleep before I hear my phone ringing. I want to ignore it, but after looking at the person calling me, I just have to take it. "I hope it's good news." I say through the phone.

          "Of course, my friend. It's about the investigation you asked me to look into. I did look up into Maestropolitan's official police cameras all over the city. I found two figures tinkering around her car while she was inside the premises."

          I raise both eyebrows. "Can you trace the faces?"

          "Unfortunately, no. They're smart to wear a mask but not smart enough. One of the figure's tattoos was visible. Right now, I'm waiting for the results of it."

          I smile. At least, I received some good news after what happened tonight. "Good. Send me the results as soon as possible." I hang up and continue to watched Nicole sleep on the bed. What's taking the doctor so long to get here? I look up at the wall clock and sigh.

          I am surprised when Ava's iPod suddenly plays one of our favourite songs together.

          "The atmosphere here is different than the one outside." I hear a voice coming from the door.

          Well, she took her sweet time coming here.

          "Please, just check my wife over there. She was spiked."

          She raises her eyebrows and begins her routine checkup. I watch as she does what needs to be done, and I wait patiently as she goes to the refreshment that Jackson had prepared for her.

"I can't believe you called me for a house call while I'm with my fiancée. She just came back from Spain. I need my alone time with her." She seems like she's waiting for something.

          "I pay huge amounts of money each session. So?"

          She shakes her head. When she's done, she walks towards me as I am pouring a shot of vodka for myself.

          "Vodka?"

          She shakes her head no. "I'm working right now. Anyway, don't worry, she's fine. It's not a strong drug. She's going to be fine."

          I feel so relieved. "That's good news. Anything else?"

          She nods and gives me a letter. "This was sent to me by parcel. It says here that whoever this person is, will expose my secrets. The only secrets I could think of are that I was your mistress. Better watch your back, Rina. Someone out there is going to get you."

          I look at the letter and sigh. Another problem to think of. "Did you tell the others?"

          She nods. "I did. Even Kelly. But, none received any letters like I did. Rina, watch your back, promise?"

          I nod. "Thanks Alice. I will be careful. I'll tell Ava about this. But, do tell the others to be careful as well."

          She smiles. "Of course. I'll be going now." She hands me a bottle of medicine. "Give this medicine to her when she's awake. I'm sure she will feel like shit when she wakes up." Alice winks before walking out of the room.