Weeds - Chapter five

Vote

Comment

Fan

-

"Double scoop Vanilla in a sugar cone." I ordered from Zach. He nodded. He scooped out a big clump of vanilla ice cream. Placing it on the counter, he moved it around, most likely softening it before placing it on my cone. 

He had already handed Logan a double mint chocolate chip, adding a small chocolate. I had told Elliott to order before me but he had declined, insisting that ladies always went first. 

No one had ever referred to me as a lady, I was always just a girl. 

I liked it though. It made me feel so... legit.  

Elliott ordered a double scoop strawberry ice cream, I had a feeling he didn't actually want the extra scoop. 

"That'll be fifteen dollars." Zach said in a monotone voice. 

I reached into my bag pulling out my wallet, but by the time it was out Elliott had already handed Zach a twenty. "Keep the change." 

I wasn't going to accept, but that would mean staying at the counter and I really didn't want to do that. 

Before I could fully turn around and walk away Zach called me, "Hey Riley?" 

"Yeah?"  

"I get off in about ten, is it okay if we talk then?" 

Zach's ginger hair was now a dark brown, he no longer had a piercing through his left nostril, and he wasn't the awkwardly scrawny kid either. He was a jock. 

I didn't like the idea of Zach being a jock. He always hated sports, his dad was the one who always made him play. So it was as if the guy who was talking to me wasn't the captain of the varsity Lacrosse team, he wasn't the cool guy, he was just Zach. Geeky, scene, awkward Zach. I nodded. 

He nodded back before grabbing a rag and whipping down the counter. 

Elliott and Logan had already found a booth and were sitting side by side, they were both calmly eating ice cream without words. 

As soon as I sat down in front of them Elliott spoke, "Who was that?" 

I stayed quiet pondering, who exactly was Zach to me now? Was he my friend? No he wasn't, friends talk. 

Was he Bridget's friend? He was, but then there wouldn't be a reason for us to talk. 

"He's someone I use to know." 

He nodded taking a lick from his dairy treat. Logan had already downed his ice cream, asking if he could go play on the indoor play set. I nodded. 

Did I forget to mention that the ice cream place was linked to the only indoor playground in town? 

Logan ran towards the door leading to the play place, how did he still have energy? 

Elliott brought the ice cream to his face, when he brought it away there was a large strawberry ice cream patch on his nose.  

A smile crept onto my face.  

I imagined what this looked like to an outsider, a guy who wore all black, had freakishly pale skin , eyes that seemed almost seemed lifeless and pink ice cream patch on his nose. He looked , well adorable. 

I stiffened a laugh,  

"What?" He asked 

I laughed harder.  

"What?" He asked again, confusion on his face.  

I pointed to his nose, he looked at the window beside him taking in his reflection. His expression went back to emotionless, no trace of the small playfulness from before.