3. What's Wrong With You

I quickly walked to my first class leaving the clueless boy behind me.

It's like crime to talk to me, Shannon will chew him up and spit him back out if she catches him speaking or even looking at me.

I was the first one to get into class and sit down. The teacher hadn't given assigned seats yet so I was good. About five minutes later students started piling into the room. And just my luck.

My 'hero' was in this class...

...joy...

As soon as he saw me he came and sat down right beside me. We sat at tables with two chairs so there wasn't anyway I could escape this. All of the other seats were soon taken.

"Good morning everyone! I hope you're excited about today being a Friday!" Mrs. Goldman joyfully said as she started taking attendance.

"Amber Hughson?"

"Here"

"Bailey Hustle?"

"Here"

"Cyryn Johnson?"

"Here," I said as I shrunk down into my seat.

"Glad to finally have you show up for class. You can ask your neighbor for the notes we took yesterday," she said and I quickly nodded. She continued taking attendance.

A piece of paper appeared in front of me. I looked at where it came from to see my 'hero' smiling at me. I quickly copied the notes down and returned them.

"Jonah Frantzich?" The teacher called.

"Here," a voice called from beside me. I looked at him. Jonah. That's his name. He must be new.

"Did I pronounce your name correctly?" Mrs. Goldman asked.

"Yes ma'am but Marais is what last name I go by most of the time if you want to use that name instead." Jonah said.

"Alrighty, Marais it is."

I didn't realize that I was still staring at him until he looked at me and smiled.

"Well, now we know each other's names," he said smiling which resulted in me rolling my eyes and scoffing.

"Would you just leave me alone?" I said looking down.

"Okay, what's wrong with you?" Jonah said.

"What do you mean, 'what's wrong with me'?" I said kinda harshly.

"One, I save your life and you don't even thank me. Two, I try to make friends with you and you literally push me away. Three, I let you get caught up on notes and you still don't say thank you. Four, you keep telling me it's a bad idea so please explain why it's such a bad idea for me to make friends with you," Jonah said.

I felt extremely guilty but oh well.

"One, you shouldn't have saved my life. I was ready to die. I wanted to die. Two, being friends with me isn't the best thing at this school. Three, thank you for the notes. Four, it's an extremely bad idea to be my friend unless you have a death wish." I said and turned away from him.

"Why is it a bad idea? Why do you wanna die?" Jonah kept asking. "What is so terrible that it drives you to wanting to die?"

I finally couldn't take anymore of his questions. I stood up and ran out of the classroom.

"Cyryn!" Mrs. Goldman called after me.

Once I was in the hallway I ran to the bathroom. I placed my hand on the sink and took deep breaths. Mrs. Goldman came into the bathroom and placed a hand on my back. "You okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, just felt a little sick," I lied.

"Well, just come back to class whenever you feel better okay?"

"Yes ma'am."

She walked back out of the bathroom.

Written: Nov. 25, 2018
Edited: May 7, 2021