Chapter Thirteen: Jealous

Gracelyn

I glare at the clock, waiting impatiently to get out of my second period trigonometry class.

The moment the bell rings, I practically run out of class.

That teacher was putting me to sleep.

At this rate, anything can put me to sleep.

I head for the gym, exhaustion written all over my face.

When I reach the gym doors, a guy in a football jersey with large muscles opens the door for me.

"You're cute." He says.

"Not interested." I grumble.

If you asked me this time yesterday if I wanted a boyfriend, I would say yes.

Now I say no.

Me having a boyfriend would be the absolute worst thing I can do to Danny.

So if I have to die alone so he won't have to be in pain from seeing me with somebody else, so be it.

I climb up the bleachers in front of my teacher and sit down a few rows up so I'm secluded from everybody else.

I want to go home and curl under the covers. I'm tired and upset about Danny.

I spent the night sobbing because I wished my Mom was there and a good Mom to help me through my problems. I could have seriously used a Mom last night, and then I was crying because I don't understand why she hates me so much, and I was crying because I had to rip out Danny's heart.

Either that or give him false hope, and I'm not going to do it. Having hope crushed is the worst thing.

Another thing too, is that I knew I would have nightmares, so I just didn't sleep.

I hear somebody sit down directly next to me.

It's probably that fucking jock.

I turn my head to the side and my eyes meet a set of very familiar brown ones.

Danny.

"What are you doing?"

"They had me in Pilates this period so yesterday I spent this class in the office switching into here." He explains quietly.

"Okay." I mutter.

"You love me, right?" He says suddenly. "Like as a friend...obviously. I know you don't love me as more than that."

"Yes." I say.

"Then I need you to understand that I can't just not talk about what happened yesterday. I need to talk about it, and the only person I can talk about it with is you. So can I talk about it? And ask you stuff? Please?"

"Go for it." I say, because what else am I supposed to say? No?

He takes a deep breath and turns his body so he's straddling the bleachers. I mirror his position. When our knees touch, he scoots back, his eyes surveying the gym for a moment.

"Why?" He asks finally.

"Why what?" I ask quietly.

"Why not?"

"You're going to have to explain a little bit more than that..." I trail off.

"Why am I not good enough for you?"

The vulnerability in his voice makes my heart shatter into a billion pieces.

"Danny..." I whisper.