Chapter Thirty: Back

Ocean rolls to a stop out front of the office of my high school. I look at the time on the clock.

10:13AM.

"Um..." I turn to Dad.

"You have three classes after lunch." He says. "You're not missing more school than necessary. You're dressed and your backpack is in the back seat. Danny can drive you home."

I sigh quietly, but then I realize Danny is in this building.

"Alright."

"I'll see you after school." He says.

"Okay."

I push open the door and walk into the office. I hear him drive away and I sigh.

Everyone in this building probably knows I was a missing person by now.

The receptionist smiles at me.

"Coming in late?" She asks.

"Yeah, my Dad just dropped me off." I say.

"Where are you going?" She wonders, reaching for a slip

"I have lunch."

"Oh, okay. You can just go then."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

I walk out the door that leads to the hall and turn left.

I have on light blue skinny jeans and a navy blue short sleeve loose t-shirt, and white vans. My hair is left down and natural and I don't have any makeup on.

I probably look like trash.

I pull my phone from my pocket to make myself look busy as I walk down the hall.

The hall ends and opens up to the cafeteria and my eyes start to scan the area for Danny.

I spot a head of dirty blonde hair and my heart skips a beat. He's wearing jeans and a light blue t-shirt and a dark blue jacket. He looks handsome as ever. He's talking to Miley and Kyle, shaking his head. He's flipping through a stack of papers.

I start walking over there and he looks up from the papers at Kyle. He looks right at me and looks away, and his eyes snap back to me a second later. I smile. He gets up from his seat and almost trips, and then comes barreling towards me. Heads turn as he runs, and a moment later, his arms encircle my body, lifting me off the ground. My arms lock around his neck and he squeezes me so hard that I make a small sound. He sets me back down on my feet then, a giant grin on his face.

"I didn't know you were coming today." He says.

"I didn't either." I laugh.

"I missed you so so much." He smiles, kissing my forehead.

"I missed you too." I smile back at him.

He starts pulling me to the table he's sitting at with Miley and Kyle.

"Hey Grace." Miley smiles.

"Hey. Hey Kyle."

"Hi." He says.

Danny has his bag in the seat next to him. I pick it up and set it on the floor with mine. I'm well aware of all the people staring at me.

"So." Miley says, clasping her hands together and smiling at me.

"What?" I laugh.

"Why'd you go rogue?"

I hesitate.