Chapter Fifteen: Phone Call

Gracelyn

I emerge from my bedroom in a pair of loose patterned shorts that are black and white and a black tank top crop top, along with black sandals. My contacts are in, my hair is brushed and left wavy, and my sunglasses are on my head.

"We're not going to the beach." Dad says.

"I know."

He hesitates.

"You look like we're going to the beach. Go change."

"Dad-"

"Grace, your ass is hanging out of those shorts."

"It is not!" I say.

"And I shouldn't see your belly button. Go change."

"But-"

"Now."

Sighing loudly, I turn around and walk back into my bedroom, slamming the door.

Fine, I'll change.

I grab my black bikini and remove my clothing, pulling it on, emerging from the bedroom.

Danny stifles his laughter with his hand.

"Gracelyn Beth Levinsky, either you go put on real clothing right now or I pick you outfit and you have no choice but to keep it on all day."

"You're sexist." I accuse. "If Danny came out in short shorts, you guys wouldn't tell him to change."

"The fuck we wouldn't." Caleb says. "I'm not having my son walking around with the tip of his penis out for everyone to see."

"Dad." Danny groans.

"Gracelyn, go put clothes on." Caleb says.

I sigh slowly and walk back to my room.

I go to my closet and grab a light purple romper with spaghetti straps. It's the kind you don't wear a bra with. I put on a gold necklace and a matching bracelet that I got from a cheap jewelry store. I have a beige lace thong on. I put on white sandals and fix my hair and emerge from my bedroom.

Dad and Caleb size me up.

"Where's your bra?" Dad asks.

"Oh my gosh, you're not supposed to wear a bra with this!"

Danny is roaring in laughter.

"Grace," Dad starts.

"She's right." Beatrice says. "Just let the girl dress herself. What she was wearing before you two started was perfectly fine. Gracelyn, you look beautiful sweetheart."

"Thanks Beatrice." I smile.

Dad and Caleb cringe and then just give up.

"Let's go." I say, grabbing my purse from the couch.

We all squeeze into Dad's truck, and as Dad starts driving, I let my mind drift to last night.

I fell asleep during the movie and Danny woke me up, just like he promised.

Only, I didn't have to get out of bed, because he made my tea for me.

He made it with honey and sugar and milk, which is just the way I like it.

He sat with me until I finished the whole cup, and then he took it to the kitchen for me.

When he came back to the room, he made me promise I would wake him up if I had a nightmare.