Chapter Sixteen: Car Shopping

Danny

The next morning while Grace is in the shower, I'm already dressed and ready since I got out of bed before she got off her phone, so I go out to the living room.

My parents are here and obviously so is Scott.

So I walk up to him.

"You guys were right." I say, shoving my hands in the pockets of my jeans.

"About?" Mom asks.

"About me and Grace."

They're all kind of quiet.

"I'm not following." Dad says.

"I'm in love with her." I say. "And I'm sorry if this ruins our second attempt at car shopping, but what you did to her yesterday was really fucked up." I tell Scott. "I mean, why the hell would you put her in that position in the first place?"

Gracelyn

Just when I walk into my bedroom, I realize Danny isn't in here. The door is open and I head to exit, but I hear him swearing so I stop.

What is he doing?

I lean closer to listen.

"I mean, why the hell would you put her in that position in the first place?" He asks.

I assume they're talking about me.

"Danny, it's really not your business." Dad says.

"The hell it's not." He says. "Because when you hurt her like you keep doing, who has always been there to pick up the pieces? Me. She's happy again because I'm the one that told you she needed therapy. She's getting better. The nightmares have stopped and she's getting better, so quit bringing up Cruella-fucking-de Vil. Stop asking her about Eileen and just give her time to heal. All you're doing is hurting her."

"Danny, I'm not trying to hurt her." Dad sighs.

"I know." He says. "But you are. She deserves to be happy, and it's going to take her a very long time to get there if you abide to every beckoning call your ex wife makes."

"So what do you want me to do? Just not bring her up? How am I supposed to take care of my daughter?"

"You already have taken care of her." He says. "You got her away from Eileen. You're helping her get a car."

"But emotionally-"

"Emotionally, I can handle her."

"Danny," Beatrice starts.

"I know her better than anybody alive, including herself. There is nobody more qualified to help her heal than myself. Just please, I'm begging you, stop hurting her. She doesn't deserve any of this."

The fact that he has the balls to go out there and stand up to my Dad like that...

"Alright." Dad agrees. "But if she's self harming or something...you need to let me know so I can get her help."

"She isn't and she won't. I'm not letting her get any lower than her current point."

"Alright." Dad sighs. "Just...take care of her."

"I will."

I hear his footsteps and turn around to act like I wasn't listening, but I trip on air and fall to the ground, catching myself with my hands. I knock my computer mouse off my desk in the process and it clatters to the floor.