9. Badges and Bad feelings

We slipped in through the front door of number 12, our arms still linked. As the door closed with a faint creak, the kitchen door opened.

It was Mrs Weasley in her apron, a relieved smile on her face. "At last! I thought you weren't coming back."

"We got held up, sorry." Hermione said, and she un-linked her arm from mine.

"Who's in the kitchen?" I asked abruptly.

"Just Gennie and Lacey. I believe they're talking about boys." Mrs Weasley chuckled.

The three people I wanted to tell in one room. Was that something like fate? "We need to talk to the three of you about something." I said.

Mrs Weasley looked worried, but nodded. She wiped her hands on her apron, and gestured for us to follow.

We found Gennie and Lacey in the kitchen. Gennie's feet were propped up on Lacey's chair and vice versa. They looked very relaxed with each other.

"Hey!" Gennie said brightly, waving her hand at us. "I thought you'd never show up! I thought I'd have to listen all night about your crush on G--"

Lacey kicked Gennie rather hardly in the leg. "Gennie, SHUT UP!"

"It's quite alright if you like George." Mrs Weasley said breezily. "You'd be good for him."

Lacey turned bright red and coughed. "So, what's up?"

I looked to Hermione, gesturing her to begin. "For starters, we weren't at my house this morning."

Mrs Weasley looked appalled. "But if something happened, where would we look for you? What was so important that you lied to me? Were you chasing that Malfoy boy around? A boy isn't worth your safety!"

Both Lacey and Gennie looked sheepish. I came to realise that both of them had sneaked out for boys--Draco and Cole.

"We were at the Hogwarts infirmary." I said quickly. "I had an appointment."

"Is that why Hollie was skipping around earlier, claiming you were 'better?'" Lacey asked. "What's wrong?"

I looked to Hermione again. She'd have to say, I couldn't physically say it aloud. "Earlier, Rory was diagnosed with depression."

There was a silence in the air, and braced myself for shouting. All I got was a crushing hug from Mrs Weasley.

"Oh dear, why didn't you say?" She cried. "You had to go through this alone? We could have come with you."

Blinking in surprise, I said: "I had Hermione. She promised not to tell anyone, so don't be mad at her."

"I'm not mad at anyone!" Mrs Weasley exclaimed, "Sit down, both of you! We need to talk this out!"

So we sat down with mugs of tea and cookies and we talked about what I was going through. Hermione spoke the most, as she seemed to flawlessly explain it in a calm manner which gave all the facts.

"So now I have these tablets." I said, placing them on the table. "I have to take them to control my emotions. And I'm not sure if I have enough self-control to take them. So I decided to tell the three of you."

"Why us?" Lacey asked. "Out of everyone."

"Well you're my sister, for one thing." I said logically, and Lacey's face softened. "Gennie shares a room with me, so she'd have to know. And Mrs Weasley--well you've got that motherly steel to make sure I take my medication."

"Oh I just wish I'd seen the signs." Mrs Weasley said, shaking her head. "We could have done this together."

"Well it's happened now." I said firmly. "Just... Can you not tell anybody else? I want to tell them when I'm comfortable to."