32. Career Advice

“But why haven’t you got Occlumency lessons any more?” Hermione asked us, frowning. 

“I’ve told you,” Harry lied. “Snape reckons we can carry on by ourselves now we've got the basics.” 

“So you’ve stopped having funny dreams?” said Hermione skeptically. 

"Apart from the occasional repressed memory, not really." I sighed, not really that bothered about the conversation. I hadn't had my medication in a few days, and it was making me more pessimistic than usual.

“Well, I don’t think Snape should stop until you’re absolutely sure you can control them!” said Hermione indignantly. “I think you should both go back to him and ask -” 

“No,” said Harry forcefully. “Just drop it, Hermione, okay?” 

It was the Easter holidays, and of course Hermione had written up a revision shecdule for us. Sam had taken great joy in helping her colour code it, reminding me of the Sam that Cole had told us about so long ago.

Ron had been startled to discover there were only six weeks left until their exams. 

“How can that come as a shock?” Sam scoffed, as she tapped each little square on Ron’s schedule with her wand so that it flashed a different color according to its subject. 

“I dunno,” said Ron, “there’s been a lot going on. “ 

"Well if you're so worried, use this." Sam said briskly. "You'll pass in no times."

Ron looked down it gloomily, but then brightened. “You’ve given me an evening off every week!” 

"I didn't want to give you time off, you need a lot more help." Sam said briskly. "That was Hermione's idea, it's for Quidditch practice."

The smile faded from Ron’s face. 

“What’s the point?” he said dully. “We’ve got about as much chance of winning the Quidditch Cup this year as Dad’s got of becoming Minister for Magic.” 

"So glad you have faith in my strategies, Ronald." Gennie drawled, looking up from one of her strategies with a frown.

"I'm not saying that--"

"Harry, what's wrong?" Hermione interupted, and I realised that Harry had been staring at Minnie and Crookshanks play-fighting for the last five minutes.

"What? Nothing!" Harry said defensivley, opening up a book to a random page.

"I saw Cho hanging around with my evil ex-girlfriend earlier." Sam said casually. "She looked about as miserable as you. Have you both been fighting?"

“Wha — oh, yeah, we have,” Harry nodded.

“What about?” I asked. "Do you need advice?"

“No, we just argued about that sneak friend of hers, Marietta,” said Harry. 

“Yeah, well, I don’t blame you!” said Ron angrily, setting down his revision timetable. “If it hadn’t been for her…” 

Ron went into a rant about Marietta Edgecombe, which meant all I had to do was nod in agreement and widen my eyes every now and then. The only downside was, it got me thinking.

Ever since I'd discovered who my parents are, I'd only ever been told good things. I'd loved hearing from Hagrid and Sirius of how great of a man my father was, and thought that he was somebody to look up to.

I mean, I'd heard that him and Sirius was trouble-makers in school, like Fred and George--but I could never imagine them hanging somebody upside down for the fun of it. Unless they loathed them of course... But was there a legitimate reason to why they acted like that to Snape?