12. Joint breakdowns

Lavender dressed so fast that she left in a flurry of perfume and hairspray before I'd put on my tights.

"She must think she'll catch my madness." I snorted, tucking my hair out from the back of my blouse.

 "Sorry about last night, Rory." Parvati said apologetically, looking after Lavender. "She's just..."

 But she didn't answer, she just flitted out of the room after Lavender.

"It's her problem, not yours." Hermione said, holding out a couple of my pills. It seemed Gennie and Hermione were now training themselves to medicate me. "You'd best take a couple of these before breakfast, they can take effect."

"Okay." I said, and shoved them into my mouth. But I didn't swallow them. I tucked them under my tongue. I opened my mouth, shielding the un-swallowed tablets from view. "See, all gone."

When I went to the toilet however, I flushed the tablets down the toilet. Lavender thought I was mad? Well I was going to prove I wasn't to her, by not taking any today.

 “What’s the matter?” asked Hermione five minutes later to Harry, when we met the boys across the common room as they all headed towards breakfast. “You look absolutely - Oh for heaven’s sake.” 

 She was staring at the common-room noticeboard, where a large new sign had been put up. 

 GALLONS OF GALLEONS. 

 Pocket money failing to keep pace with your outgoings? Like to earn a little extra gold? Contact Fred and George Weasley (or our associates Cole and Alia Wilde), Gryffindor common room, for simple, part-time, virtually painless jobs. (We regret that all work is undertaken at applicant’s own risk.) 

 “They are the limit,” said Hermione grimly, taking down the sign, which Fred and George had pinned up over a poster giving the date of the first Hogsmeade weekend in October. “We’ll have to talk to them, Ron. Or you can tell them to stop Cole.” 

 Ron looked positively alarmed. Cole just shrugged. "I get money for helping out, I'm telling them nothing."

 “Why should I tell them?” Ron moaned.

 “Because we’re prefects!” said Hermione, as we climbed out through the portrait hole. “It’s up to us to stop this kind of thing!” 

 Ron said nothing; I could tell from his glum expression that the prospect of stopping Fred and George doing exactly what they liked was not one he found inviting. 

 “Anyway, what’s up, Harry?” Hermione continued, as they walked down a flight of stairs lined with portraits of old witches and wizards, all of whom ignored them, being engrossed in their own conversation. “You look really angry about something.” 

 “Seamus reckons Harry’s lying about You-Know-Who,” said Ron succinctly, when Harry did not respond. 

“Yes, Lavender thinks so too,” she said gloomily. 

"Plus she thinks there's a conspiracy to hide murders, which is the stupidest thing ever." Gennie added.

 “Been having a nice little chat with her about whet her or not I’m a lying, attention-seeking prat, have you?” Harry said loudly. 

 “No,” said Hermione calmly. “I told her to keep her big fat mouth shut about you both, actually. And it would be quite nice if you stopped jumping down our throats, Harry, because in case you haven’t noticed, we're on your side.” 

 There was a short pause. 

 “Sorry,” said Harry in a low voice. 

 “That’s quite all right,” said Hermione with dignity… Then she shook her head. “Don’t you remember what Dumbledore said at the last end-of-term feast?”