17. The rebellion begins

It was nearly midnight when Harry returned from his detention from Umbridge. His hand was bleeding so much that the scarf he'd wrapped around it was stained red.

Gennie was sympathetic to Harry rather than pissed off. She'd realised that Harry's temper was the problem, not his burning desire to sass, so was trying to make things up to him.

“Here,” she said anxiously, pushing a small bowl of yellow liquid towards him, “soak your hand in that, it’s a solution of strained and pickled Murtlap tentacles, it should help.” 

“Thanks,” he said gratefully, scratching behind Crookshanks’s ears with his left hand. 

“I still reckon you should complain about this,” said Ron in a low voice. 

 “No,” said Harry flatly. 

 “McGonagall would go nuts if she knew —” Cole said.

 “Yeah, she probably would,” said Harry dully. “And how long do you reckon it’d take Umbridge to pass another decree saying anyone who complains about the High Inquisitor gets sacked immediately?” 

Ron opened his mouth to retort but nothing came out and, after a moment, he closed it again, defeated. 

 “She’s an awful woman,” said Hermione in a small voice. “Awful. You know, I was just saying to Ron when you came in… we’ve got to do something about her.” 

 “I suggested poison,”  I said. "Or let her have those ugly quills scrawl all over her."

Insctivley, I touched at the sccared skin on my hand, where the words were now permenantly engraved. While I was upset that her words had sccared forever, it led me to be determined to stand up to her and authority in general.

Hermione and I had talked about this during charms and were now going to run it past everybody else.

 “No… I mean, something about what a dreadful teacher she is, and how we’re not going to learn any Defense from her at all,” said Hermione. 

 “Well, what can we do about that?” said Ron, yawning. “It’s too late, isn’t it? She’s got the job, she’s here to stay. Fudge’ll make sure of that.” 

 “Well,” said Hermione tentatively. “You know, I was thinking today…” she shot a slightly nervous look at Harry and then plunged on after I nodded at her, “I was thinking that - maybe the time’s come when we should just - just do it ourselves.” 

 “Do what ourselves?” said Harry suspiciously, still floating his hand in the essence of Murtlap tentacles. 

 “Well - learn Defense Against the Dark Arts ourselves,” I said simply.

 “Come off it,” groaned Ron. “You want us to do extra work? D’you realize Harry and I are behind on homework again and it’s only the second week?” 

 “But this is much more important than homework!” said Hermione. 

Everybody looked at her.

 “I didn’t think there was anything in the universe more important than homework!” said Cole sarcastically.. 

 “Don’t be silly, of course there is,” said Hermione, and I saw happily, that her face was suddenly alight with the kind of fervour that SPEW usually inspired in her. “It’s about preparing ourselves, like Harry said in Umbridge’s first lesson, for what’s waiting for us out there. It’s about making sure we really can defend ourselves. If we don’t learn anything for a whole year -” 

 “We can’t do much by ourselves,” said Gennie in a defeated voice. “I mean, all right, we can go and look jinxes up in the library and try and practice them, I suppose -”