21. Just crash and fall down

*Warning: possible triggering elements such as drug use and abuse.*

The four of us met Hagrid straight away, who had been nursing wounds with dragon steak. Him and Madam Maxime had been visiting giants in southern France, and were trying to get them onto Dumbledore's side.

They gave gifts to the leader, and everything seemed fine. Until the giant was killed and replaced by a new leader. Then before they could please that one, Death Eaters arrived to give him gifts. Hagrid was convinced he saw Mark among them, but couldn't tell as this man was much skinnier and with much less hair.

I supposed it was a possibility of it being Mark, Jenna's death wasn't going to stop him working for Voldemort. But if he was skinner and balder, then that was a good thing. He should be feeling awful about Jenna's death. He caused it, after all.

Hermione was trying to get Hagrid to use safer creatures for us in lessons, but I doubted he would listen. He thought everything dangerous was a fluffy creature--especially since Gennie told me he once named a three headed dog Fluffy.

On Tuesday we nervously headed down to the forest for our lesson, hoping not to be eaten alive. I was hoping for something that breathed fire, it would at least warm us up from the two feet of snow around the castle before we died.

“We’re workin’ in here today!” Hagrid called happily to us, pointing to the forest. “Bit more sheltered! Anyway, they prefer the dark.” 

“What prefers the dark?” I heard Draco say sharply to Crabbe and Goyle, a trace of panic in his voice. “What did he say prefers the dark - did you hear?” 

I remembered Gennie telling me that when they had to search for unicorns in first year, Draco was terrified. Well, he still was now.

“Ready?” said Hagrid cheerfully, looking around at the class. “Right, well, I’ve bin savin’ a trip inter the Forest fer yer fifth year. Thought we’d go an’ see these creatures in their natural habitat. Now, what we’re studyin’ today is pretty rare, I reckon I’m probably the on’y person in Britain who’s managed ter train ‘em.” 

“And you’re sure they’re trained, are you?” said Draco, the panic in his voice even more noticable. “Only it wouldn’t be the first time you’d brought wild stuff to class, would it?” 

I would have shouted at him, but he had a fair point.

“Course they’re trained,” scowled Hagrid.

“So what happened to your face, then?” demanded Draco

“Mind yer own business!” said Hagrid, angrily. “Now, if yeh’ve finished askin’ stupid questions, follow me!” 

He turned and strode straight into the Forest. We followed him for ten minutes through the labyrinth of dark trees, until we reached a large clearing. He dropped a dead cow he'd been carrying and threw it to the floor.

“Gather roun’, gather roun’,” Hagrid encouraged. “Now, they’ll be attracted by the smell o’ the meat but I’m goin’ ter give ‘em a call anyway, ‘cause they’ll like ter know it’s me.” 

Well that explains the dead cow.

 Hagrid gave three shrieking cries, and then something emerged from the trees. I gasped. It was the skeletal horses I'd seen pulling the carriages. Cole and Gennie gasped beside me. I couldn't help smiling. I wasn't going crazy at all--these creatures were real.

I looked eagerly at Gennie, but Gennie was still staring around into the trees and after a few seconds whispered, “Why doesn’t Hagrid call again?”