III

C H A P T E R    T H R E E:

Louis doesn't know what surprises him more, the fact that he has a message from Niall on his phone or that Liam and Zayn didn't text him as well. It's been almost six months, so Louis really doesn't see why they're still holding a grudge against him.

He comtemplates giving Niall a call, hovering over the green phone button in his contact name. After a minute, Louis curses and taps the icon, putting the phone up to his ear. It rings a few times before Niall picks up, greeting him with a breathy sigh and a “hey”.

“You texted,” Louis begins. “I thought I'd call.”

“Yeah,” Niall hums. “Uh, yeah, I'm done being mad at you. Sure, you could have called instead of ignoring us for a month, but we could have called, too.”

“We've been friends too long for this,” Louis says.

“We have,” Niall agrees. “Lou, I've got to ask, why does Zinnia seem so distant whenever I talk to her? Liam and Zayn mentioned it as well. We're worried about her.”

“Oh, she hasn't told you?” Louis asks.

“No...” Niall sounds worried. “What's wrong? Is she okay?”

“Ni, I'm sorry, but if Zinnia didn't tell you then I don't know if I can,” Louis tells him sadly. “I know you're concerned, but it's really not my place.”

“Does Zinnia trust us?” Niall asks. Louis hears him fidgeting with something on the other end.

“She does,” he assures. “Niall, listen to me, Zinnia trusts you. I know you're worried, I know you want to be there for her, and believe me, I want you to do that, too. She just doesn't want that. She doesn't even tell me anything, that's how I know it's bad.”

“Lou, don't be concieted. I know you and Zinnia have been friends since you were, like, two, but you don't need to shove it down everyone's throat,” Niall scolds, bite to his tone. “I didn't text you for you to be an asshole to me.”

“Dude, chill,” Louis forces a laugh. “That's not what I'm trying to do and you know it.”

“I know,” Niall sighs. “Listen, I don't want to fight. Let's catch up. Zinnia mentioned you got a boyfriend?”

Louis smiles. “I did, yeah. His name is Harry.”

“What's he like?” Niall questions.

“I don't even know where to start,” Louis laughs. “Uh, let me see. He's really smart. Like, four-point-oh smart. He's awfully shy, but I learned that if you want to get to know him, you have to be really persistant.”Niall makes a gagging noise and Louis gasps. “No, not like that! I mean if you want to be friends with him, or something. We haven't had sex yet.”

“Really?” Niall inquired, sounding surprised.