IX

C H A P T E R    N I N E:

 Spending his Saturday at a salon with Zinnia and Lottie isn't Louis' prefered way to live out the day, but Johanna forced him to go, so he's stuck. Not to mention he's being dragged along as the ride there and back and being forced to watch Lottie and Zinnia pierce their noses. They look pretty cool, but he won't admit that.

“This is so overrated,” Louis huffs, falling back in the chair with a groan. “Why do you even want a hole in your nose anyway?”

Zinnia rolls her eyes. “They look cool.”

“Yeah, but you're still putting holes in your face,” Louis stresses.

“Leave us be, Louis,” Lottie scolds. She turns to Zinnia and squeals, “Oh, what about a septum piercing?”

Zinnia shrugs. “Eh, I don't know. I wouldn't get it, but I think you could make it work.”

“Possibly,” Lottie shrugs, too. “I think I'm just going to go with a standard nose stud.”

“Same,” Zinnia agrees. “Maybe a cartilage piercing.” She wiggles her eyebrows.

“Snake bites,” Lottie grins.

“No,” Louis interjects. “Absolutely not. My mum only gave you permission to put one hole in your face and I know she'll blame me if you show up with more. Just stick to nose peircings, please.”

Lottie rolls her eyes. “You're no fun. We were just kidding around, Lou.”

“Maybe you could get one of those stretchers,” Zinnia says with a devious smile.

“Hell no, those are ugly,” Louis objects.

She snickers. “I know. I was just teasing you. Anyway, Lott, you want to go first.”

“No!” Lottie shakes her head. The woman working at the salon gives her a look. “I mean,” she corrects herself, “you should go first, Zinnia, so I know what to expect.”

Zinnia bites her index finger to stifle her giggling as she sits down in the chair. She turns over the small hoop that will hug her nostril once it's pierced in her fingers and nods to the woman.

“I'm ready,” she says. “Will you hold my hand, Louis? In case it hurts.”

“Sure,” Louis pulls his chair up beside Zinnia's and grasps her hand, sliding their fingers together so she can squeeze if the pain gets too bad.

“Will you hold my hand when I get mine pierced, too?” Lottie asks.

Louis nods. “Yeah, sure. What are you getting done? Hoop? Stud?”

“Stud,” she answers. “I'm more of a simple person.”