XVI

C H A P T E R    S I X T E E N:

“You can do this,” Zinnia encourages Louis.

He nods his head and wrings his hands, looking at Harry, who is sitting on one of the picnic benches, nose buried in Defiance. Louis' heart flutters and he allows a small sliver of hope to float into his heart. Zinnia touches his shoulder in reassurance. When he told her, she had scream at him. Now she's just sad for him.

“Yeah,” Louis rolls his shoulders back and steps forward, walking toward Harry with no confidence in his steps.

When he sits down, Harry looks up from his book and visibly recoils. He folds a corner of the page over and snaps the book shut, looking like he's ready to stand up, but Louis snatches his wrist.

“Please,” he begs, “hear me out?”

Harry shakes his head. “Let go of me.”

“Not until you listen to me,” Louis attempts to wager.

“News flash, Louis, I don't have to,” Harry snaps. “Now let go of me before I scream and get the principal to come out.”

Louis swallows hard and uncurls his fingers from Harry's wrist. “Please,” he says. “Harry, I want to explain. I want to make things right.”

“I'm not ready to hear it,” Harry replies. “I don't have to hear it. You're the one who betrayed me, you don't get to call the shots here.”

“I know, but—” Louis stops himself and bites his lip. “I'm begging you.”

Against his better judgement, Harry says, “Five minutes, that's all you get.”

Louis doesn't waste any time. “I shouldn't have taken your diary. I'm the first one to admit I made a mistake. But, Harry, I love you. I can't let you leave.”

“You're going to have to get used to it,” Harry bites back. “This isn't negotiable. You don't get to boss me around and tell me I can't break up with you when I have a damn good reason to. I'm not your toy, alright?”

“I know, and I'm sorry,” Louis tries again. “I'm stupid. I'm so, so stupid for going behind your back and reading your diary. I can't express how sorry I am. I'm doing my best to make it right, honest.”

Harry actually snorts and stands up. “I said I'm done, Louis. Don't call me, don't text me. In fact, take the phone back.”

“No,” Louis shakes his head, “keep it. It gives me peace of mind.”

Harry stares at him for a few moments, eyes narrowed into slits, before he turns and walks away. Louis manages to keep it together for a few moments before tears start to slide down his cheeks, and he buries his head in his hands to hide it.

Zinnia sits beside him and slides a hand over his shoulders, stroking her hand up to Louis' hair. He sniffles and leans into her side, resting his head on her shoulder. He wants to look as small as he feels.

“I'm sorry,” Zinnia says.

“It's not your fault,” Louis shakes his head and wipes at his eyes.

“I know, but I feel bad for you,” she elaborates. “I know how much he means to you.”

“Yeah,” he breathes, shuddering.

“Maybe this is a sign,” Zinnia suggests. Her words are slow, like she's testing the boundaries.

Louis catches on and scowls at her. “It's not like that. Harry's not like that. Zinn, you've been with me through all the low and high points in my life. Have you ever seen me like this before?”

“No,” she shakes her head. Even Zinnia, who prides herself in being a realist, has to admit that Louis has never been this crazy about someone before and that he could possibly win Harry back if he tries hard enough.

“Do I sound as desperate as I feel?” Louis asks.

She smiles. “You do, but I don't blame him.” She hugs him tighter. “I'm disappointed in you. You know that, right?”

“I know,” Louis answers. “I don't blame you. I'm disappointed in myself, too.”

“Give him some space,” Zinnia suggests. “You've tried talking to him, texting him, and calling him. He's not ready to talk to you right now. Give him a week or two and he might return one of your calls.”

“Prom is in less than a month,” Louis comments. “Do you think it's stupid of me for hoping he'll go with me?”

“Probably, but I think it's good for you to hold onto some hope,” she says. “It's one of your top qualities.”

“I like how straight forward you are,” he tells her. “You keep me grounded. I would have fucked things up with Harry a long time ago if it weren't for you.”

Zinnia laughs. “I know, I'm amazing.”

Louis knocks their sides together. “Yeah, yeah. You'll blow up if you get too full of yourself.”

“Shut up,” she grins. “You're a big idiot, and you mess up too much, but I love you anyway. It's been fifteen years, I think I'm used to your screw ups.”

He pokes her in the rib. “Hush. I can't wait for you to do something stupid so I can use that same speech on you.”

“I never mess up,” Zinnia says, and then they both burst out laughing. So hard that their sides hurt. It isn't even funny, but this is exactly what Louis needs. In a strange way, Zinnia needs it as well.

“Seriously, though, all kidding aside, thank you for being here for me,” Louis says.

She gives him a tight squeeze. “What are friends for?”

“More like family,” Louis corrects her.

A/N: When was the last time I did a double update? Seriously, I don't know why the chapters I'm writing are so short lately. I think I'm going to take a break from writing this for a few days. By the weekend there will be an update, but it's nearing the end and I want to make sure everything is executed perfectly. My friend helped me with the ideas for this chapter when we were at the park. We both said we needed some Zinnia in our lives, so here she is. She's just so important to the book. It's fifteen minutes away from being one AM and I'm up writing this author's note than keeps getting longer and watching Castle. I should probably go to bed. Have a good sleep, guys. I love you <3.