XI

C H A P T E R    E L E V E N:

 “Pick up your phone,” Louis mumbles.

He's been calling and texting Harry all morning and the time for school is soon approaching. Louis hasn't spoken to Harry since their phone call got cut off, and to say he's worried is an understatement.

“Come on,” he hisses to the device. “God damn it, Harry, pick up your phone.”

“Time to go, Lou,” Zinnia pokes her head through the door, her nose ring slightly damp from the epson salt water she has to use to clean the piercing.

Reluctantly, Louis hangs up his phone and tucks it into his pocket. He picks up his bag and slings it over his shoulder and follows her out the door. Zinnia furrows her eyebrows and turns back to look at him.

“Is everything okay?” she asks.

Louis gives his mother a glance. She isn't paying attention. He grips Zinnia's wrist and pulls her out the door, dodging Lottie, Felicite, and Gwyneth as they make their way from the house.

“No, I'm not,” he admits when they're out of earshot. “Harry's not answering his phone.”

Zinnia scoffs. “Jesus, Lou, give the boy some space.”

“You don't understand, Zinns,” Louis pulls on his hair and sighs. “We were talking Friday and then his foster brother came in and Harry screamed at him to stop before the line went dead.”

Zinnia blinks a few times. “Wait, wait, wait, foster brother? When were you going to tell me?”

“I'm sorry,” Louis says. “I didn't know how. I didn't think it was important.” He drops his head down. “I'm so worried about him, Zinnia.”

She squeezes Louis' arm. “I know you are.”

They don't say anything else after that. It's easier for Louis to lose himself in his thoughts than make conversation with Zinnia, so that's what he does.

By the time Louis and Zinnia get to school, he already has several plans formulating in his brain. All he needs is Harry to show up so he can protect him.

“I'll see you in French,” Zinnia hesitates a moment, then grabs Louis' arm and says, “We're early. If I had to guess, Harry's in the library. Isn't he usually there every morning?”

“Right,” Louis nods. “I'm going to go find him.”

“Okay,” Zinnia agrees. “We're going to talk later, by the way. We clearly have a bit of catching up to do.”

“Okay,” Louis smiles.

He grips his bag tighter and heads off in the direction of the library. On his way, a hand grips his shoulder from behind and Louis turns around to find Cody Ault. He swears and bares his teeth.