VI

C H A P T E R    S I X:

“It's grilled cheese day,” Zinnia says.

Louis hums quitly to himself as he heads to the lunchroom, walking beside her. They're pinkies are linked as they skip along awkwardly, snagging a table in the back.

He hands her his money. “Can you get mine for me? I'll save the table.”

She rolls her eyes but nods, taking the coins from his hand and heading off. Lizzie intercepts her on the way, causing a small chuckle to fall from Louis' lips at Zinnia's discreet sassy expression. He drops his gaze and fiddles with his fingers, huffing out a small laugh in his amusement.

When Zinnia comes back to the table, she's carrying a tray with two grilled cheeses, but she's not alone. Lizzia, who Louis figured would be joining, is with her, but so are Elaina, Chloe-Grace, and Aura, whom is never that far away from her step-sister.

“Hello, Zinnia,” he says. “Hello, Zinnia's entourage.”

Elaina rolls her eyes as she sits down. “Don't be an asshole, Louis.”

He laughs and holds out his hands. “I'm not, I swear.”

She rolls her eyes again. Thankfully, she doesn't say anything. Aura clears her throat.

“So,” she attempts.

“This is awkward,” Chloe-Grace declares, shoving a piece of crust in her mouth.

None of them are very close to each other. Louis likes Zinnia and Aura, but that's basically it. Elaina doesn't think very highly of him. He's just “asshole” to her. She calls him it almost every day. Lizzie doesn't speak very much, so no one really knows her very well. And then there's Chloe-Grace. It's very self-explanatory. She's just a bitch.

“Yeah,” Lizzie mumbles. She focuses on her sandwich.

“Have you talked to Harry today?” Zinnia asks Louis. Conversation always seems to default to the two of them.

“I haven't seen him all day,” Louis replies, shaking his head. “He either ditched, or he isn't here.”

“Harry wouldn't have missed the whole morning, that isn't like him,” Chloe-Grace chimes in. “He always refused to ditch when Dustin used to try and convince him to skip school and come to the high school.”

“Maybe he's at home,” Lizzie offers. Her voice is quiet.

“What did you do to him, asshole?” Elaina asks.

Louis sighs. “I didn't do anything to him.”

“You sure about that?” her smirk is truly annoying.

“Yes,” he answers, scowling.

Elaina opens her mouth to add in another snarky comment, but Zinnia holds up her hand and says, “Cut it out, Elaina. It's not funny anymore.”