VIII

C H A P T E R    E I G H T:

Grasping the mint oreo blizzard in one hand and Harry's in the other, Louis leads him to a table at the back, away from Zinnia and Johanna. He knows his mum is watching him, knows she's making sure he and Harry aren't doing something she won't like, but he can't bring himself to care.”

“So,” Louis begins around a cookie chunk, “what do you want to be when you grow up?”

“Something in the medical profession,” Harry answers, biting at the chocolate coating on his ice cream. “Either a nurse, verterinarian, or therapist. I'm not sure yet.”

“Interesting choices,” Louis purses his lips. “Chloe-Grace said you used to want to be a lawyer.”

Harry shrugs. “I used to love arguing and wasn't as shy as I am now.”

“I think you'd be a great lawyer,” Louis says.

“I'll pass,” Harry says. “I've seen the legal systems before and I don't like how they work. I bet I'd be a bad lawyer anyway. I'm not good with being persistent.” He wiggles his eyebrows, smirking as he adds, “You, on the other hand, are very persistent.”

“What can I say?” Louis shrugs, shoving a spoonful of his blizzard in his mouth. “I couldn't let you get away.”

“I still don't understand that,” Harry confesses. “I don't want to talk about it, though. Not when it's supposed to be a happy time. What do you want to do when you get older?”

“I really don't know,” Louis admits. “I'm not really into anything. Mum says I'd be good as a broker, managing the phones and stuff. The money isn't too bad and I guess it's okay.”

“I think it suits you,” Harry agrees.

“Yeah, you think so?” Louis questions.

Harry nods. “Your personality is likeable, you'd be good at answering the phones.”

“Is it now?” Louis raises his eyebrows.”

“Oh,” Harry's cheeks flush. “It is. It's likeable. Like I said, fell in love with you first time you spoke.”

Louis grins and brushes his thumb against Harry's bottom cheek. “You have some ice cream there,” he explains when Harry's blush travels up to his ears.

“Sure,” Harry rolls his eyes.

Louis leans forward to kiss him on the mouth. “There, too.”

Harry smiles shyly, ducking his head down. Louis barks out a laugh that's a little too loud and dips his spoon into his ice cream. He knows Johanna is watching them again, her stare probably more intense, but he can only focus on Harry.

“I think you should go to whatever university makes you happiest,” he says. “If that's Harvard, go there.”