seven. there's a girl

"How was it?" Sam asked sitting in front of me with his usual amount of folders

"How was it?" Sam asked sitting in front of me with his usual amount of folders. I raised my brow, my eyes filled with question. "Oh, sorry. Your lunch with Corinne." He said fixing his previous statement.

She spent our lunch catching me up on the family drama and how they believe I ran away and got hitched. I couldn't help but laugh at the news. Back then with my rebellious actions, I would've believed it. My mother hadn't been a fan of my old way of living, she had continuously yelled at me for not being a good influence on my siblings. To be quite honest, I didn't think she would notice my disappearance.

'Fine I guess. Too much information to comprehend' I wrote quickly. During the "talks' my handwriting had grown more precise and clear. Sam wouldn't dissect the handwriting, he could easily read my poorly executed thoughts. He seemed to get tired of talking to a piece of paper.

"I get that. Was it nice to see her again, Corinne?" He asked, shifting in his chair awkwardly. I understood the uncomfortable position he felt, he had something on his mind that was consuming his entire person.

'What's on your mind? You seem tense' I wrote, sliding him the paper, it was my escape goat from the conversation.

"Changing the topic are we?" He chuckled reading the paper with a soft smile. He sighed moving into a relaxed position in the blue seemed chair, or as relaxed as he could find himself. He closed his eyes before directly looking into mine.

"There is a girl. I didn't think I cared so much about her but realization struck and I do, I care about her so damn much, just thinking about it now makes me smile like a child" He gushed on about this mysterious girl and how had struck gold with her. My body tensed up with his comment, I didn't understand the feeling of the butterflies that were in my stomach but it made me feel uncomfortable. "Carolina is just perfect." That feeling had fled out of my body.

I fakely smiled at him, nodded at his words, on the inside I was punching a brick wall. He had seemed so happy talking about the girl he had been falling for and didn't seem to notice my disappointment.

'Are you going to ask her out instead of acting like a child?' I wrote, showing him the paper with a raised eyebrow. He chuckled grabbing the piece of paper from my hand. I put my hands up in defense, as he crumpled it up, tossing it in a random direction.

"But what if she doesn't like me back? Wouldn't that be awkward since we work together?" I rolled my eyes at his questions, grabbing another sheet of printer paper, chuckling at the words I had written. 'That's exactly what I child would say...and you never know until you try.' I didn't want to be an advocate for him to ask her the daring question but I didn't want him to be upset because he missed his chance, that was the last thing I wanted to do.

Sam stared at the paper, biting his tongue at what he was going to say. I grabbed the paper from his grasp, he looked sarcastically offended at my actions. 'You have the ego the size of Antarctica, you should be boasting about how much she should like you.' I slid the paper across the table, waiting for his reaction to my very bold statement. He stared at it in shock, a hand dramatically over his heart. "I am the most humble person you will ever meet"