eighteen. no goodbyes

"Ellie, it's going to be okay" The man smiled, rubbing the palm of my dry hand

"Ellie, it's going to be okay" The man smiled, rubbing the palm of my dry hand. We both knew he was lying. I leaned my head on his chest, my tears creating a puddle on his hospital gown.

"Please don't lie to me" I murmured into his chest, his hand laying on my head brushing my hair with his fingers. I didn't want to leave his side, I didn't want to miss my last goodbye.

Every time I left the room he didn't let me say goodbye, he didn't let me say anything. Any word I spoke he had interrupted me with a poorly sung song lyric from his favorite song, although I never figured out what song it was because I could never hear the words properly.

"I would never dare to Ellie."

I smiled lightly as I drew shapes onto his stomach with my finger, which he tried to guess but failed miserably.

For a small second, I was in bliss. I actually believed that he would be okay and that somehow we would go home and have dinner like nothing happened. Every part of my body wished that this is fantasy would come true, unfortunately, it never did.

"Hey, Beth?"

"Yea?" I rose my head from his stomach, raising a brow at the nickname. He had called me multiple nicknames, switching them out to see which one he liked better, though he would never figure it out.

"I could go for some chips."

I shook my head, rolling my eyes at the man. "You ignorant man. We were having a moment!"

He raised his hands in defeat as he tried to hold in the laughter. I stood from the chair, walking to the door of the clean-scented room.

"Which ones do you want?" I mumbled, holding the door open.

"Surprise me."

It took all of what was inside me to not say goodbye. I was freaking myself out like he said, everything's going to be fine.

I stood at the vending machine, my arm propping me up to face all of the options. I pressed a random button, the machine making miscellaneous sounds as a packet of trail mix fell to the bottom.

"Shit."

I groaned placing another dollar in the machine, this time having better luck with the correct product.

I didn't notice it at first, my pacing to get to the room again. I didn't want anything to happen in the small amount of time I was gone. If he died feet away from me without saying goodbye, I would drown myself in a pool of pain.

"Sorry" A man mumbled as he hit me on my side causing me to drop the snacks.

"You're fine" I leaned to the ground to pick up the items, he did the same. The dark man had been crying. It was easy to tell by the bloodshot eyes and the swollen under eyes that lacked in his natural skin tone.