twentyfour. gunshot

I had given up

I had given up. I lost all hope that everything would get better. The thought of seeing Sam again had drifted from my thoughts. I didn't care to wake up every day because it would feel as if I was being suffocated by the air around me. It was a constant routine that I grew tired of.

Lucius didn't bother to visit anymore, maybe because he had nothing to say to me and I didn't blame him.

I still hadn't figured out if it was my fault that I was in this position. I had been brainwashed to believe that I'm the virus of this world and I couldn't shake my thought from that.

I found myself staring outside of the cell, amused by a piece of plastic moving across the floor.

"What are you looking at 77?" A guard snarled stepping on the piece of plastic. I shook my head turning to lay down on the bed. I had lucked out on what to fill the void of my day.

The only thing that entertained me during the day had been the conversations the guards had with each other. Their conversations had made me lose brain cells.

"I heard Lucius found a new prisoner to fall in love with" A guard chuckled passing by the cell. "132."

"I think she's falling for him too" Another one added, laughing along with him.

Another guard came by, slamming on the cell doors. It had been time for training, something I never looked forward too.

The doors opened simultaneously, prisoners shuffling into a line in the hallway. No one dared to move because they knew the punishment if you did. The line slowly moved forward, people sobbing in fear, some too numb to care anymore.

I had never understood Lucius' plan but then it all hit me. If he wore them out, if he abused them and made their life a living hell, they would soon run out of hope and give in.

"Faster! My grandmother can walk faster than you!" A guard hit the woman behind me causing her to yelp in pain.

I turned the corner, the woman limping behind me. I wanted to make sure she was okay but that would only end me up in the same position as her.

"Welcome section D. I hope you're prepared for today." Lucius sat next to another girl holding a clipboard. He had looked tired, prominent blues and purples under his eyes. His eyes were bloodshot, his entire body looking as if he was irritated.

It wasn't long before sobs and screams had filled the room.

I stood in front of the line, the woman in front of me shaking violently as she held the gun.

"94, you've done this before. What's stopping you?" Lucius asked, standing from the chair. He held a hand on her shoulder, her body shaking even more which I thought was impossible.

She pointed her finger at her arm, a bright red rash forming on her forearm.

Lucius ran a finger across the mark, signaling a guard. "Take her to the nurse, please."